Saturday, February 4, 2012

Downtown Sights

This pot of lush greenery in front of the phone company building on Park Avenue confirms our feeling that winter will be very late or non-existent this season.
A roaring lion flanked by two horns of plenty, symbolizing power and prosperity - just one of many downtown facades with fascinating detail. I would like to see these elements captured in photos for study and appreciation.
  The ornament at the top of this arch looks like beech nuts. This is the facade of the Hetfield Building.
Sometimes a King of the Jungle is only a coat rack.
Sweet treats at The Bread Basket, seen through the front window.
Look out below! Luxury condos, eh?
Smash! Need you a hard hat around here.
Why, look! It is Lady Liberty inviting you to get your tax return done.
And this must be Laddie Liberty. Hey, a job is a job.
"Fire Code Violations throughout the entire building"  ... oops! Not a good thing.
And such a handsome building, too.

I always come home with mixed thoughts after walking around downtown. How can the good things be preserved and how can the dubious ones get fixed?  Thanks to Ms. and Mr. Liberty for the tax time reminder. Is La Nina the reason for that unseasonable greenery? Wouldn't I like a nice piece of Tres Leches cake from the bakery?

Too late, I am back at my door and have to go in and do my inside chores. But barring ice and snow, I will be out for another walk soon.

--Bernice

3 comments:

  1. I really love these posts with the pics and comments. I spend more time in Plainfield's downtown than my own in North Plainfield, and have the same trepidations. There's so much good, but it often feels like it is losing ground to the not-so-good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love these entries, Bernice! The town does have some incredible architecture and it's great to see some of it preserved. The next time you're roaming about, take a look at "The Telephone Building" adjacent to the train station on East 4th. I fear that will be the next piece of history gone. Neglect is taking root. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bernice, Walk down to New Street at West Front and see some of the other fill in stores from the days gone by of Synagogues and Churches downtown. Just do not plan to park on the street, cause with no meters, painted crosswalks or stalls it is taking your life in your hands to cross the street.

    ReplyDelete