Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Long Winter's Nap

Image: Peruvian Oxalis.

Once again it's that time of year.

No, not the season to be jolly. I wish. Actually, I wish I were a groundhog, because then I would sleep through the span from late fall to early spring where Seasonal Affective Disorder seems to reign over some of us.

It's the time of year when I rely on my windowsill crops of oxalis and impatiens to remind me that spring will eventually roll around on the Wheel of the Year. The cold, dark winter in fact starts getting lighter on the first day. The longest night means that by very small increments, the days will then get longer.

Meanwhile, the season has me feeling like dozing through much of it. I keep getting in bed to read a book or write in my journal or just to take a nap.

It's no wonder that ancient peoples lit huge fires at this time of the year to lure back the light. I'm glad for my enclosed porch with 10 windows - it's drafty, but much brighter than the inside rooms.

So while I may be registering the ambient ho-ho-ho and fa la la la la, I will just be hitting the mental snooze alarm until the holiday known variously as Imbolc, Candlemas, St. Brigid's Day - or, to TV morning show hosts, as Groundhog Day - rolls around.

--Bernice








No comments:

Post a Comment