Friday, October 31, 2014

A Roundabout Plea for Park & Seventh

Street planter in Fanwood

I took my first train trip Thursday since having major surgery in June. Mostly I have been sticking close to home, but I was desperate for a haircut at Fanwood Clipper and decided to take my chances. Thanks to Esther for welcoming me back and creating a nice " 'do."

So then I decided to walk to Fanwood Animal Hospital to pick up the special food Mau needs since he developed digestive troubles. I got the big eight-pound bag and stowed it in my L.L. Bean tote. It was too close to 2:34 p.m. to catch the train back in Fanwood, so I started walking toward the Netherwood station.

It was also my first chance to see South Avenue since hearing that C-Town moved out.
Plainfield Beauty Supply

Yes, half the old Foodtown site is now occupied by Plainfield Beauty Supply. These signs struck me as rather garish and maybe a bit too large, but I guess it's hard to catch the eye of drivers on South Avenue. 
A Fine Fare supermarket is now in the east end of the building.
 I think both of these businesses had been located elsewhere in Plainfield, so it is a shift rather than a gain of new enterprise in the city.
This was one of several "for sale" signs along the South Avenue corridor, where new residential development is expected.
At a recent Planning Board meeting, Planning Director Bill Nierstedt emphasized that the park between South Avenue and the Old South Avenue right-of-way will not be affected by the proposed redevelopment.
As someone mentioned at the candidates' forum Tuesday, this building across from the Netherwood train station is being renovated without any room for parking. I could not recall this application and will have to visit the Planning Division to find out the details.

Well, my plan to catch the 2:37 train at Netherwood did not work out. It went by as I was passing Walgreen's, so I went back there for a bit of shopping. Then back to the train station to wait for a taxi.

Back at Park & Seventh, I was wondering how things will work out for the new owner of the big former office building on the southwest corner. The South Avenue corridor, Park & Seventh and the downtown are all part of the Special Improvement District, in which property owners pay an extra tax which supports amenities in the SID. Things are happening in all three parts, but Park & Seventh has certain conditions that could have a negative effect on redevelopment. There is a large number of so-called "street" people who are out at all hours, often yelling and arguing. Last week, I was out in the yard one afternoon when a police car came up the driveway with lights flashing. The officer at the wheel asked me whether I had seen someone running down our driveway.

I had been sort of thinking about the garden, which suffered a lot of damage from the severe winter and then neglect while I was recuperating from my surgery. No, I had my back to the driveway and did not see anyone. The officer said there had been a stabbing nearby and one person ran toward East Sixth while the other ran in our direction.

I suddenly remembered my garage with all my garden equipment was open, but before I could ask the officer to check it, she took off. I hailed another officer, luckily one I knew, and he checked both the driveway and our hallway, which was accessible because workers had left the front door propped wide open. He found no one, but I cut my ruminations on gardening short and went inside for the rest of the afternoon. 

Whenever I mention Park & Seventh issues, the first response is that the Park Hotel must be involved. But from what I see, it is the large number of street people, including drug dealers, homeless, petty criminals, squatters and substance abusers who are affecting the quality of life at Park & Seventh. The first thing the new owner had to do after acquiring the former office building was to roust the squatters out. Next was dealing with the totally trashed interior, where all valuable metal had been removed.

Having lived on Block 832 for 22 years now, I hope the new owner can revive the building. I remember when there was a nice place to have lunch right across from that building. The Masonic building on the opposite corner had professional offices and is still a meeting place for Mason groups. In fact, there was a large meeting the day of all the cop action last week.

My hope is that while welcoming new development, city officials will address some of the chronic quality of life problems that seem to be more evident around Park & Seventh than in the downtown or on South Avenue. For example, vagrants have been sleeping on a lawyer's porch and using the premises to relieve themselves. The bench on the northwest corner had to be removed due to people drinking, cursing and fighting, so bus patrons have no place to sit. Ask any merchant what they would like to see improved at Park & Seventh. 

South Avenue and the downtown are showing the beginnings of major change. Why not Park & Seventh as well?

--Bernice 

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great information, Bernice. South Ave. is improving and other parts of Plainfield as well. I live on Park and Crescent and am troubled by the Park and Seventh intersection and the people who hang out there and the abandoned building on the corner next to the Unitarian Church property. I hope they either tear that down and replace it with something useful; or just make it a parking lot. Perhaps make it another City Hall Annex and give some departments much needed room to serve the people of Plainfield. This area has been much neglected, looks bad, and has attracted a bad crowd who hang outside the liquor store and Little Caesar's panhandling. I have visitors who see that and are afraid to come visit me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get the lack of public information about the rebuilding of the space opposite the Netherwood train station. Storch lives four blocks away, Williams about the same in another direction, Green and Reid live about 6 blocks away. Can't just one of them find out and explain what the deal is? Can't FOSH explain in their newsletter or on their web site? Or is there some secret asking protocol that we haven't yet mastered? Like asking for effective crossing signage at Belvidere and South that took about two decades to fulfill and it's still not up to the pretty modest standards of neighboring towns. I suspect the answer lies in the fact that not one of our "representatives" commutes or walks anywhere so they don't really care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So where are the "Community Oriented Policing" Officer that use to be stationed downtown and at Park and Seventh? Their presence would help deter the "street people" from loitering in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my target B. our plans will be unveiled today! we look forward to starting 700 park ave. cleaning up that entire corner is def a goal of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernice, I believe that parking for the building across from the Netherwood Station was stipulated as the small parking lot between the Station lot and the Fire House. It's not a terribly big lot and I don't recall if additional parking was allocated by the developer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And what should we do with those "People" ???? Round them up and send them to Disney Land? Well years ago that was an approved method .... that is a one-way ticket to the closet big City. Well now it is Plainfield's turn. We want to be all inclusive don't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loitering is illegal for everyone, so maybe we need to help them get jobs, into AA, or something better for them and less stressing for the people who live and shop in the area. It is not right that a group of people can hang out in one area most of the day and scare people away. How can this be justified? I pay taxes, work, and want a safe place to live. This isn't Newark, its Plainfield. I won't accept their behavior and panhandling in my neighborhood, I want better for myself and Plainfield.

      Bob Bolmer

      Delete
    2. Actually Plainfield has been said to be the City most likely to be the next Newark. Is that so bad? The Democratic Party loves Booker.

      Delete
    3. Not for nothing, but is it solely Plainfield's obligation to take care of the people who need care?

      There are cottage industries who get their jobs by caring for people who cannot help themselves.

      Quite frankly, if you want to build a community in your neighborhood and house all of them, have at it. I think they should be relocated and cared for in a way that will help them with whatever their needs are.

      However, they do not have the right to run and ruin this city.

      What happens to US people?

      Delete
    4. No - I have no interest in being inclusive. I have an interest in living in a safe city.

      Delete
  7. Plainfield's lack of willingness to focus on quality of life issues is more than evident. Apparently, the old adage is true, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.. Just because it worked in every major city throughout the US doesn't mean it could be made to work here.. This is Plainfied, its much more difficult than say NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston and the like...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried to shop in that area a few times. I went to the previous hardware place and the now-gone medical supply company.

    The medical supply company had their door locked. A customer had to knock on the door. They did this because the "people" would come in, begging, asking to use the toilet and causing issues. THEY CALLED THE POLICE REPEATEDLY. The police did nothing.

    I knew any time I went there, I was going to be harassed by someone on the street -- begging, saying things. One time I went there, a gang of men was on the corner, opening dealing drugs.

    I quit going there. As a consumer, there are many other nearby (out of Plainfield) choices where I can feel safe to leave my car and safe to walk from my car to my shopping destination.

    Downtown Plainfield is a cesspool -- filthy, merchandise out on the street, blaring music, people selling liquor on the sidewalk, mattresses propped up.

    The inspections department is quick to cite anyone in a well-to-do part of town for minor infractions. Nothing is down about downtown. What about the active, open whorehouses? What about all the street lights out at night?

    No one is going anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so agree with Ms. Lynch. Downtown Plainfield is filthy. My question is: Where are my hefty shared fees being used? Probably filling some corrupt politician's pockets?

    ReplyDelete