Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Stinging Rebuke

In the garden: Purple Coneflowers.

Circumstances beyond my control, aka life, may interfere with blogging over the weekend.

After I blogged about wasp stings, I managed to annoy a wasp in the back yard while I was trying to reel in a hose after watering. Apparently it had made a home in some crevice of the hose reel and did not like my disruptive behavior. So it stung me in two places on my left hand.

A baking soda paste alleviated the pain initially, but the next day both sites were itchy all over again and still swollen. The wasp was a kind I had never seen before, reddish-brown with spotted wings, and I could not find any clues online about its particular stings.

Anyway, I have a problem that may interfere with my activities over the weekend, including blogging. The local blogosphere has been kind of subdued lately anyway, so maybe it does not really matter.

Have a good weekend and watch out for those waspish (snappish, irritable) sorts in the back yard. Some are weaponized.

--Bernice

2 comments:

  1. Bernice, I was stung by a yellow jacket about two weeks ago. After applying ice on and off for a couple of hours, the swelling went down. I then used hydrocortisone cream, which really helped with the itch/irritation factor--although I had to use the cream for about a full week. Unfortunately, it also took another week for the redness to disappear.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete