Saturday, July 28, 2012

Reader Wants Your Help

Carolyn Logan wants people to join her fight against the water company:

Hello
I've been ill and really not paid attention to the fact that the size of my monthly bill exceeds my old quarterly bills! Now that I live alone there is no way I have used 17,000 gallons in one month.  The water company claims they send someone to read the meter and that it was read and meter is operating fine.  They will send me a kit to determine if I have any leaks.

However, I have found they are a market driven company with stockholders and not responsive to their privilege of operating a public utility.  If they are operating legitimately, they we should have the right to go to the market and choose a company that best meets are needs.

I'm sending this to the PlainTalker to ask my neighbors in joining me in flooding the state and local authorities about our right to choose a company to be our public utility.

3 comments:

  1. Have you meter changed if no help from water company complain to the State Board of Public Utilities

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wait until you get your PMUA bill in January! They bill you one year later so your fight will start all over again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the not the result of faulty meters. The BPU has been granting steady rate increases to NJ American for years. The latest was in May. They are ostensibly for covering infrastructure replacement, but are primarily used for buying up smaller water utilities as they did recently in Salem County. Your quote on the effect is quite accurate based on my own billing experience. Unfortunately, the BPU looks out for the interests of utilities, not consumers.

    ReplyDelete