Sunday, November 1, 2015

Weekend Miscellany

I think I caught up with my sleep deficit this weekend by going to bed early Friday and hardly stirring on Saturday. I even had some real dreams, which have been lacking lately. They were the long, B-movie plot kind, in color with much detail.  Of course, by tomorrow I will probably have run up another sleeplessness tab.

Hoping everyone had a fun Halloween. I had some Pumpkin Spice Oreos while I sat in bed crocheting , and also made a retro waxed-paper Autumn leaf assemblage to mark the turning of the season.

The coming darkness coincided with the failure of the incandescent light in our bathroom fixture, sending me to Google once again to try and understand what us old folks are supposed to use now. It was such a puzzlement when the front hall light blew out that I just put a lamp there.

I concur with all who find this election season to be one of the quietest in recent memory. Somebody with a reputation for brass-knuckle campaigning is on his best behavior this year.

Every registered voter should have received a sample ballot by now. You can check your polling place and view your choices. Remember that you can pick across columns. If anyone says you must vote only one column, that is not true. You may if you wish, or not.

There is a double City Council meeting on Nov. 9 and I am hoping it does not run to several hours. It seems discussion items and public comment take up the most time, and at regular meetings the agenda is dealt with in a matter of minutes. The election will be over by then, but there are often advocacy groups that want to have a say in public comment.

People who want to serve on a board or commission should probably try to attend a meeting to see whether they really like it before submitting an application. Next week, the Zoning Board of Adjustment meets at 7 p.m. Wednesday and the Planning Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, both in City Hall Library. There does not seem to be a master schedule for all public meetings currently.

How many clocks did you to have to turn back? I think between clocks, watches and radios, we must have ten or more to set.

--Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment