Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Blogging the News


--Barbara Todd Kerr
Barbara Todd Kerr, who designed and administered Plainfield Plaintalker when it began in 2005, snapped this photo of your intrepid blogger at a City Council meeting in 2006.

For a while in 2007-2008, I was both blogging and freelancing for the Courier News, where I had been a reporter for 16 years before retiring in 2003. I was glad to help out (and earn some money) by freelancing, but I felt the difference between the immediacy of blogging compared to attending a meeting, writing it up and filing after deadline for publication a day or two later.

By 2009, Barbara's many other activities and interests resulted in a parting of the ways. From then on, I did all the writing and photography.

Not being skilled on the technological side, I fretted when the blog reached more than 2,300 posts. It seemed too big, too cumbersome. So I created a successor, Plaintalker II, in May 2010. Plainfield Plaintalker remains as a searchable archive.

Plaintalker II has grown even larger than the original, but I can't decide between creating a new format or just closing it down. Obviously it will continue while I vacillate.

The main topics continue to be municipal government, redevelopment and Plainfield in general.

Plainfield photographer David Alonso took this series of photos at a council meeting in April 2015:

--David Alonso
--David Alonso
--David Alonso

Since taking office in 2014, Mayor Adrian O. Mapp has increased official news sources with an updated website, an online newsletter, a Nixle setup to deliver messages to city households and an app for cell phone communication. I hear there are plans to live-stream City Council meetings later this year. All these measures increase the opportunities for civic involvement, which was one of the reasons for starting the blog eleven years ago. The Plainfield bloggers also add perspectives to whatever official news may be released.

I hope you have enjoyed knowing a bit more about the history of this blog. The archives constitute a reference source on development and local politics, among other topics. Local news outlets no longer routinely cover city government as they once did, but I still think it's important and I have the free time to do it.

--Bernice

10 comments:

  1. Your hard work on behalf of the citizens of Plainfield is duly noted and appreciated beyond words. Thank you Bernice for all you've done and continue to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the one unbiased source of Plainfield related news. I know it is getting harder to write a blog every day, but to lose you entirely would be catastrophic for those with a concern for the city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Bernice. Your hard work is appreciated by many. I look forward to many more blogs from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bernice, no matter how many messages the administration sends out, I still depend on your unbiased reporting to keep me informed.

    A day without reading Plaintalker II is like a day without sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Bernice. Your time and talents are so greatly appreciated. You are truly a reliable source of unbiased information and a shining example of community service at its best. You are indeed an inspiration. Thank you for all you do for the City and community of Plainfield.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have forgotten to mention that by blogging you continue to learn in Plainfield:

    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Bernice for the tremendous contributions you have made to all of us in Plainfield and throughout the region.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I tend to comment on your wonderful photo posts more than anything else. But I do read all of the others, too. You've kept me up on what's going on in town when I work odd hours and could never attend the meetings. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bernice, when Tim and I arrived in Plainfield six years ago I was a neophyte in regards to Plainfield politics. Your blog was a major source of my becoming acclimated and to that I echo the words thank you for your service.

    ReplyDelete