Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Garden Images

 My garden is largely grown from saved seed or cuttings, partly for thrift and partly because I love to propagate plants. This year I still miss my double pink Impatiens that I grew for more than a decade from a half-dead plant that workers threw away in Lot 6. I grew cuttings over the winter, planted them in spring, took more in autumn and so on every year. The last crop succumbed to downy mildew that became widespread in the Northeast.
So I planted a lot of Balsam seeds, forgetting it is also in the Impatiens family. They grew tall and produced the lovely blooms above in pink, scarlet, salmon, magenta and rose. But wet weather let the downy mildew take hold and now they have yellow bands on the leaves with the mildew underneath. I can still save the seeds but will have to get rid of the plants soon.
 My Portulaca came through as usual in many colors. I plant the seeds in a window box so they don't get lost and then transplant them into the garden.
 They are so delicate! I find them entrancing.
 Here's one of our Praying Mantises on patrol. By now they have shed multiple exoskeletons and will soon be ready to breed. This one is sitting on a sprig of Purple Queen, in the Tradescantia family.
 These winsome flowers are Thunbergia, also called Black-Eyed Susan Vine. We only have a few vines this year, due to being late planting seeds. Summer is fading fast and I still have lots of seeds that were collected last year.
This Praying Mantis has translucent green wings which look brand new. It is now an adult. Click to enlarge and see its strong forelegs for catching prey. Watching these fascinating creatures is my favorite part of yard work.

If  you don't have a garden of your own, you can always visit the Shakespeare Garden in Cedar Brook Park for enjoyment and relaxation. You won't even have to do yard work, unless you join the Saturday volunteer weeding group. See more here.

--Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment