Friday, September 20, 2013

Another Mantis Tale

Walking home from a PMUA meeting last week, I heard Katydids calling near the Quaker Meeting House. We have lots of crickets singing right now on Block 832, but no Katydids - or so I thought.
I was looking for mantises in the Butterfly Bush when I realized what appeared to be a leaf was in fact a big Katydid.
Unfortunately, a Mantis saw the Katydid and attacked it. Mantises are indiscriminate predators and will catch anything they can, including bees and butterflies.
 


This is a female who is eating not for two, but for a couple hundred, so maybe we can understand her voracious appetite. I still would have liked a chance to hear "Katy did, katy didn't" on Block 832.

--Bernice

2 comments:

  1. Bernice, these are great. I wonder if our children at Plainfield schools see these pictures of nature at work. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad for the katydid, but tremendous photos!

    ReplyDelete