Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Whatever Happened To ...?

Being housebound in icy weather tends to make my mind wander. As a reporter, I kept a list of "stories to folo," journo-speak for items with a beginning and middle but no end. Here are a couple that I thought of while enduring the most recent polar vortex.

One long saga with an unwritten final chapter is the Dornoch case. I found myself wondering whatever became of the arbitration process that was authorized in September 2014. The developer of The Monarch condo project - you remember, 63 residential units over a new senior center and veterans' center at 400 East Front Street - submitted a rather large bill for fitting out the senior center. It was apparently one of those "no cost to you" deals that had a tab after all. The City Council authorized Corporation Counsel Vernita Sias-Hill to proceed with arbitration, but I don't recall hearing of any outcome.

Another incomplete story involves the parking deck for the Union County Improvement Authority's downtown office building. Does the public have access yet as promised in a settlement? The last we heard, terms of use were still being negotiated. Plaintalker's July 2014 inquiry aroused the wrath of a certain politician.

That's all I have today, folks. Something (maybe those five shots of Novocaine at the dentist yesterday) made me very itchy and too distracted to come up with a longer post.

--Bernice

4 comments:

  1. I had forgotten that blog of Green's. My question is, has his selected and then elected candidates for the Council followed his recommendation? The history of the past 14 months says NO they have not. As the City Chairman he only has to put his foot down, yet we have the shows like this past Council meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Bernice... is there ever truly enough time to explore the ever expanding bulging rug in city hall ?? No.. me thinks there's barely enough time in a day to use the broom to sweep those items and many more under it... our fine busy busy local Dem's doing their finest toward the tax payers of Plainfield.... I'm sure their clinging to the notion that the "mysteries" would be much greater were the fine stewards of taxpayer finances Republican or Independents and not the house of Jerry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Willianson, Executive Director of the PMUA, who during his public interview before the Council pleaded, "Unprepared", to the most cogent questions offered to return. If, said Mr. Williamson, you provide me with a list of questions beforehand I will return and answer them". Well? Who's composing the list?
    Bill Kruse

    ReplyDelete