Sunday, March 29, 2015

Spring Cleanup Time is Here

The Spring 2015 Public Works newsletter is online at the city web site and hopefully in the mail to households. Page 2 has the zone map and collection dates.

After this very harsh winter, many householders are eager to clean up their property. On my walk home from a medical appointment on Park Avenue last week, I saw a senior hard at work raking up matted leaves from her front yard and even though I am a tenant, I got out my own rake later to give the daffodils and crocuses a little sunlight and air in hopes of seeing some flowers soon.

Maybe this already happens, but I have hoped for a while that owners of rental property as well as tenants will receive this information. I voluntarily bagged leaves for several years because I just enjoy yard work, but as I have moved into the "old" category (over 75) and developed some medical limitations, I have not been able to keep up the pace.

Technically, grounds maintenance is the responsibility of a property owner, who has the ability to direct staff or hire workers for seasonal cleanups. As more and more rental properties come on line, one hopes the guidelines for collection will be conveyed to owners and/or managers as well as residents, so that appropriate arrangements can be made.

--Bernice

1 comment:

  1. thank you for this Bernice.. I actually do the yardwork for my Landlord so it comes in handy.

    ReplyDelete