Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Farewell to Egenton's Garage



Someone commented on a totally unrelated post that Egenton's Garage was closing.

"I AM SO SAD," the commenter wrote.

My attempt to get someone at Egenton's to verify the closing and tell something more did not succeed, but I did see a sign on the fence saying the property was for sale.

Egenton's was part of my life for several years when I owned a Jetta. As I recall, doing business with Michael Egenton was likely to start with listening to him recite a poem. There was always a copy of the Irish Echo nearby, and the general air was philosophical. I'm sure Michael and Eddie found my jittery mistrust of cars and all things mechanical annoying, but they always helped me out. Michael was charitable and even took a test drive to assess a car I wanted to buy.

The Jetta had a habit of refusing to start on cold late nights in the Courier-News parking lot. When one of them responded the next day, it started right up, making me look even more foolish than they already thought I was.

My daughter Audrey and her husband Peter bought a sapphire blue Volkswagen bug from Egenton's and Sapphy, as they nicknamed it, lasted quite a while, thanks to the ministrations of the Egentons.

The signage on their building includes the legend, "Since 1963," and they certainly became legendary to many Plainfielders for their charming ways, as much as for their work. Many of us are so sad to see the passing of Egenton's Garage.

--Bernice

8 comments:

  1. Whats sad is that no one in our city government cares. When someone crashed through his fence the next day the city was siting him a violation for the fence, the high taxes and rising costs made it impossible to stay in business. Its hard to attract people if the perception of our town is bad. The cars in his and other shops get broken into and there nothing changes but more abuse to the businesses. It just got too much. I will miss him but don't blame him one bit for leaving. If you cant make money the business is unsustainable. That is something our government has no clue about because they have never run a business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My children and I have used Egenton's since "back in the day" when Bill Egenton was the owner. We bought cars from Egenton's and had them serviced there, right up until they closed about two weeks ago. I still have an '87 Cabriolet bought from them. Eddie Reilly was last owner, preceded by Mike Egenton. I believe Mike was a former English professor, hence the propensity to waxing poetic. Bill's son Billy had a shop in Middlesex - ironically, he just sold that business and retired, like Eddie. They were all a great bunch of guys; always treated us fairly. One of my sons worked there one summer as a helper, when they were busier. My daughter brought her car in for exhaust work just under the wire - Eddie took care of it the last week he was open, about two weeks ago. We will miss the place and the people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The city cannot control who closes their business, but it is sad to see them go. We don't know why they closed, but this garage has been in Plainfield for many, many years. I used to take our church bus there for repairs and the service was good and prices fair. I do wonder about someone who wants to blame the city for everything, especially since the city is not all powerful. Thank God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband had VW Bugs for yeaaarrrrs. NO one touched any of them except Bill and Eddie. When one of them died and they didn't have one in Plainfield, he sent us to Bill in Middlesex. They both will be sadly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been friends with Eddie and his family for almost as long as I have lived in Plainfield--about 18 years. On Saturday, I ran into a mutual friend and mentioned to him that earlier this week I saw a for-sale sign in front of the shop, and how the news of the shop's closing was significant enough to make the local blog. He told me that he last saw Eddie a couple of months ago, and that Eddie was talking about retiring soon. He was looking for someone to take the business over, but that was not working out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes my heart incredibly happy to read! As the granddaughter of Bill Egenton, it is truly an honor reading your comments. I know my grandfather will love hearing from you all! Thank you for all of your business over the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please tell your grandparents that they are great!!!! Miss them. Lisa Tucker, VW beetle owner

      Delete
  7. John Heilman, Sandy Heilman (Hall) and David HeilmanMarch 21, 2018 at 1:56 PM

    My husband and I always brought our VW's to Egenton's garage. No one else touched them! Then when my son grew up and got a Jetta he went there too! We loved Bill and Michael so much. They were the salt of the earth! We moved away and got digferent cars but always thought of them with such fondness. I just bought a 1969 VW Bug and the first thing my son said was "You'll have to take it to Egenton's" I wish I could ❤ If your grandfather is still around, please tell him that he left his mark on many a heart.

    ReplyDelete