Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Joyeux Noel

Merry Christmas
to all

I spent most of Monday sick in bed and listening variously to WNYC, WBAI and my new fave, WFMU. I think I must have heard every known carol and holiday pop tune, rendered vocally by humans and various species including faux chipmunks, or instrumentally on everything from pipe organs to rubber bands. Who knew Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" is 70 years old? That means I have heard it every year since the age of four. I have written before about the curse of the alto part, which means having been in a high school chorus, I must render that part in my head whether hearing carols in the supermarket or Jeff Spelman playing Christmas songs on the Grace Church carillon. ("Joy to the World" at midnight on the bells was lovely, Jeff!)

The older generations of my family are gone and we don't have any nearby younger generation, so the holidays tend to be quiet affairs for our small remaining band. Whatever you are doing today (Christmas Bird Count? Big dinner with the family? Volunteering at a church?), have a great day!

--Bernice


2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you Bernice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off to see George Washington cross the Delaware River to kick those Tories out of Princeton !!

    ReplyDelete