Sunday, December 30, 2012

Urban Outfitters Opens

I finally got my chance to look inside the new Urban Outfitters in Westfield. If you have tweens, teens or young women in the family, they will most likely be entranced by the ambiance and the fashions. I myself have been having a "mutton dressed as lamb" phase since Audrey sent me some pricey skinny jeans she had scored at one of Seattle's thrift shops, but it was highly obvious that I am not of the Urban Outfitter demographic. I was more interested in the way the former bank at Broad & Elm had been made over to provide raw industrial underpinnings for the outre couture and funky merchandise.

If like me you grew up in the 1940s and 1950s and have no grandchildren, you can always go there as a field trip on your way to a more staid shopping experience. On the way out, make sure you don't accidentally buy a pair of those mittens with an expletive knitted in. Or if you do, save them to wear to a City Council meeting - 2013 politics may turn the air blue and you'll fit right in.

--Bernice

3 comments:

  1. going to Westfield today... not out of choice lol.. I normally do not venture into downtown Westfield on non normal business days ( too many people ). Will see if I can swing by there...it's always nice to see big things happening in Westfield, North Plainfield, South Plainfield....oh doesn't the list go on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I agree that it's good to have a formerly empty storefront (or in this case, a bank) filled, Urban Outfitters would not be my choice. Their corporate politics leave much to be desired. I won't be one to support their commerce.

    From the Washington Post: Urban Outfitters: All its recent controversies, explained,

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess the mayor missed that call too. So sad.

    ReplyDelete