Tuesday, December 25, 2012

When Seasons Collide

The year is almost over and we still haven't had a killing frost. Not too many years ago, by mid-October the growing season was finished and all tender plants were dead. Not any more. This delicate wildflower (or weed, depending on your viewpoint) is still blooming on Christmas, as are several other flowers in our yard.

I tried to find frost information on the state climatology site without success, but did find this graphic that indicates a warming trend throughout most of 2012.
The temperature dip in November still has not fazed the Calendulas, which appear ready to go straight through winter without ill effect.
 The Daffodils are also ready to disregard winter and have begun to sprout.

Maybe January and February will tell another tale, but so far it sure looks like climate change on Block 832.

--Bernice

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you noticed, but today and several mornings, I had to scrape large amounts of frost from my car windows and it was 27 degrees when I left Plainfield. I don't know about "killing", but those a serious frosts.

    ReplyDelete