Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Stop the Noise!

Weary of festival noise? Don't relax just yet, there are a couple more events in the calendar that may have you going for the ear plugs.

The music from the last few events could be heard for many blocks and must have been deafening to immediate neighbors. As it happens, there is a section of the Municipal Code that addresses loud sound and sets 100 feet as the outer limit beyond which it constitutes a disturbance of the peace.

Sec. 10:18-3 (d) of the Municipal Code, Morals and Conduct:

"No person shall play, use, operate or permit to be played, used or operated a radio receiving set, vehicle radio, musical instrument, phonograph or other machine or device for the production or the reproduction of sound with louder volume than is necessary for convenient hearing of the person so playing, using or operating such instrument or device and such persons who are voluntary listeners thereto, or in such manner as to disturb the peace, quiet and comfort of neighboring inhabitants or the public. The use or operation of any such instrument, radio, phonograph, machine or device in such a manner as to be plainly audible at a distance of one hundred (100) feet from the building, structure, vehicle or place in which it is used or operated, shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this Article. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to prohibit playing by a band or orchestra in a hall, building or in the open air."

This noise rule could be invoked if the public demanded it. On a smaller scale, I'm sure a lot of us have those neighbors who can't clean their cars without blasting out their favorite music. As someone who likes to listen to the radio on earphones outside, I really hate it when somebody turns up their trunk sound system so high that I can't hear my radio at all.

It's too bad when people put personal indulgence over civility and when entrepreneurs disregard noise regulations to the point where all the windows shake in nearby homes. Maybe the summer of 2014 will be less nerve-wracking if these noise rules are enforced.

--Bernice


6 comments:

  1. Bernice -- I feel your pain.

    I love music, but I don't like it so loud you can't hear someone speak.

    For some reason, people feel blaring music means they are having a good time. Even when younger, I didn't like going to events where the music is so loud you have to shout to have a conversation.

    Sometimes I think about setting up my car with huge speakers, and when someone is blaring their boom-boom music -- cranking up really, really loud a Mozart string quartet. Or even better, the Ride of the Valkure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The festival at Mision Evalagelica was quite nice but sound was quite intrusive from here in the 1000 block of Madison Ave. I like festivals. I just wish applicable standards would be complied with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Randy and Olive.. from the 200 section of West 8th INSIDE the music was audible with the windows shut. Outside it was too much. I couldn't have imagined being at that event. My former brother-in-law played in a band and always asked why I wouldn't attend his bands performances. "You are too loud", was my response. When I can't hear someone speaking next to me.. I can't be there.
    The City of Plainfield doesn't believe in quality of life issues. Civility is as much a concern as code enforcement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Note that the most modern playing device listed in the Article is a phonograph. Note also that it does not apply to bands or orchestras, whether they are amplified or not. It's an older part of the code and needs to be updated. I would argue that in 2013 a DJ playing music at a sanctioned event was the equivalent of a band and should be afforded the same privileges. But I would also put a cap on the maximum decibel level that anyone could make for any reason unless specifically exempted.
    (For the record I loved loud music as a kid and like it now.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate loud music,no need 2 blast it,and make your neighbors angry.we have called the police at least 3 times.first, we asked the fellow,could he turn it down.and his answer was no.so we did what we had 2 do-and call the police.why must we listen 2 others peoples music? use your earphones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live more than 100 feet away from Cedarbrook Park and way more than 100 feet away from Hub Stine Field. Yet I can hear everything that is going on in those two places loud and clear everytime there is a concert or football game. If anybody shuts down a Hispanic Festival because it violates this ordinance, then they will also have to shut down loud events at Cedarbrook Park and Hub Stine Field. If the city does not apply this ordinance fairly to all parties across the board, they will face a visit from the federal government who will be investigating charges of discrimination. I know this because I will be the one personally filing the complaint.

    Sincerely,

    Christian Estevez

    ReplyDelete