Friday, December 12, 2014

Regarding Comments

Some of the comments I am receiving on the forum need to be set apart for special scrutiny. Here they are, in order of posting:

I was invited to this forum and told it was going to be in response to Ferguson and the murder of Eric Gardner.I was very disappointed that it was just a political event orchestrated by Mapp, whom really have no idea in regards to the African American experience, and who also feel more comfortable with people in the 2nd ward and not the 4th ward.Rev. Thomas is a pastor that looks down on other pastors and people in his own community.It was said when building his new church he did not want the front door facing the projects.Riley is a joke he has a lot of people fooled, his true character will soon be revealed.It was a great opportunity to confront police brutality but was missed by all of the political posturing. 

I totally agree with Anon 3:46 AM, the right people were not at the table.Was the council president who represents the 4th ward invited, or better yet Rev. Brown the councilwoman at large, who just spoke up recently in the courier and Star Ledger in reference to David Yearby a young man from plainfield killed at the hands of white sheriff officers from the Middlesex sheiff Dept.Most of the people at the table should not have been there. I am a cop in plainfield and know for a fact that Riley and the two officers laugh behind Mapps back. 

Bernice,my comments were the truth,but I guess it would shed light on those you always protect, So much for unbiased reporting. 

All these were posted anonymously, so I don't know which the last one was referring to. In my opinion, these comments lack merit for various reasons.

Bloggers have some choices. They can decide not to print any comments at all, as Assemblyman Jerry Green does and Dan tends to do. They can publish only those signed by name of the commenter, as Councilman Cory Storch does on the principle that people should own their comments. Dr. Yood and I have taken anonymous comments. I try to avoid ad hominem attacks and name-calling. Commenters who make race and class distinctions don't advance the discussion.

If your comment is not published for whatever reason, please realize I am the ultimate arbiter of what shows up on this blog (or as someone once said, I run this ------------. Posting comments is not the same as reporting. Insults do not "shed light" but add to the darkness, in my opinion. And, as many a blogger has said, if you feel so strongly about some issue or cause, you can start your own blog. At one point there were 30 blogs in Plainfield. This blog or any other could stop at any time and anyone interested can take my place covering government, development and backyard nature study.

--Bernice

3 comments:

  1. You are so right Bernice. You always print the negative things said about those who oppose Mapp. I have been a cop in this town for over 15 years.I wish I could give my name but I would be fired on some bogus charge.I did not think you would consider my comments because of your relationship with mapp.I apologize for that.You are right it is your show.


























    name but I would be fired on some bogus k










    charge like knight and abney.The police dept.is d o d


    ReplyDelete
  2. All the panelists prioritized the need for open lines of communication. That has to be the first step if anything is going to change. There's a time for protest, and there's a time for discussion. So I think the forum was an attempt to get the doors open so steps can be taken to lessen the likelihood that a Ferguson (Brown) or Staten Island (Garner) situation doesn't occur in Plainfield. I don't see that as a problem, or that any of the forum participants on the dais or in the audience should be faulted for making the attempt. Of all the naysayer comments here and in the previous post, only Norman's actually addressed an issue that was relevant to our city and should be part of the dialogue and the solution. The rest seem to just be grasping at ways to muddy the waters and make unsubstantiated attacks. They value the immediacy of revolution more than the positive results of a successful revolution. More like The Terror portion of the French Revolution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These comments seem to be more politically motivated to harm others and not to help move Plainfield forward. We need forward thinking not game playing.

    ReplyDelete