Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tiny Living Spaces

Maybe the link below is why I misheard the one-bedroom apartment space as 150 square feet vs. the required 750 square feet in a recent development application:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/interior-design/living-in-182-square-feet-in-seattle-the-seattle-times-125242

There is a movement dedicated to finding the most concise living space possible, especially in urban areas, but as with most innovative living solutions, they may not meet the zoning requirements. Still, practioners of alternate living spaces persevere. Check this link.

Another premise that is gaining acceptance is the idea of "granny flats," accessory buildings that afford elders a proximity to family with a modicum of independence.

In many urban areas, single persons or elders are not really accommodated by land use laws. Plainfield probably has many individuals whose housing choices are extremely limited. Faced with the prospect of an aging population in coming decades, cities might do well to come up with innovations that offer options to warehousing people in "senior housing."

These thoughts came up again in reviewing plans for the West Second Street Commons Urban Renewal LLC. Many of the apartments are just at or barely over the 750 square feet limit. But maybe some of us urbanistas would even be glad for less, if possible. Somewhere between Japanese sleeping compartments and American McMansions, is there a viable small-space living solution for urban dwellers?

What do you think?

--Bernice

2 comments:

  1. I believe my own apartment probably isn't much more than 550 square feet. It's a one bedroom and, according to a sticker inside a kitchen cabinet dating back to 1992, it's approved for up to two people. 750 is spacious for a one bedroom.

    Alas, unless someone is on a government subsidy program, my small apartment wouldn't be good for retirement housing. Despite its warts, I pay a dear price for it. I could probably rent two complete houses elsewhere in the country for what I pay per month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My apartment is at about 550sq feet ( grand studio meaning it has a full kitchen )but I have use of the basement for storage as well as use of the ENTIRE property which I maintain for my landlord free of charge (except the mowing ). My patio alone outside my private entrance is about 20 x 20 underneath the shade of a beautiful Japanese Maple...I believe accessible outdoor space makes all the difference in the world. In the summer, spring and fall I have an extra 7000sq ft plus of useable space!

    ReplyDelete