Wednesday, August 10, 2011

People on the Go

The theme for this year's photo contest at the Plainfield Public Library is "Plainfield - On The Go," but part of the challenge so far for me is just that - some of the most interesting possible subjects I have seen zipped by before I could get out my camera.

One was a guy on a recumbent bike who went whizzing through a blocked-off section of Park Avenue that I was shooting for the blog. I seldom see one of those bikes on the city streets, but he was gone in a flash.

Another day I saw an older man with tubes in his nose, riding his bike casually down East Seventh Street. The tubes were attached to a portable oxygen tank in a bag hanging fom his shoulder. I was impressed with his will to be so active, and on a busy street at that! But I never even got my hand on the camera in my messenger bag.

The third example had me puzzled until I figured out it was a guy on a bike who was balancing a huge shop vac on the handlebars. It looked all out of proportion visually, like seeing a SmartCar hauling an office safe on the roof. He was also out of range in seconds.

Oh well, I think there are still some weeks till the deadline. Maybe I can set up a roadblock with camera at the ready and get people "on the go" to slow down long enough to snap a photo. I can't wait to see what others submit for this contest.

--Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment