Saturday, October 6, 2012

More Seattle Scenes

Mount Rainier at sunrise was my last image of the Pacific Northwest on Thursday as I flew home to Plainfield. My final photo roundup includes more on spiders, Seattle's new giant Ferris wheel and the Pike Place Market.

It looks like quite a haul for this spider early on Wednesday morning, but later the facts proved otherwise.
The stiff breeze that accompanied us on our bus trip downtown deposited a lot of airborne debris in all the many spider webs in Audrey's yard.
Seen up close, the bits of fluff resembled a combination of flying birds and bumblebees - the joke was on the orb weavers.
It was exciting to see the new giant Ferris wheel from the bus to downtown Seattle. It's right at the water's edge, which gave me vertigo just thinking about it.
Another view from the bus. Read about the "Great Wheel" here.
As we arrived at the famous Pike Place Market, a Google car whizzed by the shops.
A premier tourist attraction, this market has a mind-boggling array of foods. Here are some quite exotic forms of pasta (click to enlarge any image).
This is just one of many fruit and vegetable stands in the market.
"Oh yeah! Purple carrots!"
Seafood abounds in the market.
I think I'll gain weight just looking at these pastries.

On to Westlake Center. The plaza's trees have blue trunks and there is a giant chess set laid out.
 A water wall adds interest to the plaza. Audrey and I browsed at Nordstrom Rack for bargains before heading back to West Seattle.

If you ever get a chance to visit Seattle, go! You will love it.

--Bernice

2 comments:

  1. I had to look up the blue tree trunks !!! Interesting and beautiful..some forms of Public Art are so incredible. Welcome home Bernice... We've missed you in the neighborhood! Thanks for showing us your journey.

    http://weburbanist.com/2012/04/03/blue-trees-surreal-spectacle-coming-to-seattle-parks/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Home Bernice! It is great to see you going places and always bringing/sending home so many great images!

    The tree trunks are amazing, for a local experience there is Parkers Nursery -Martine Avenue- theirs are light purple. I believe there was a big exhibit of trunks-made-art not that long ago on the East Coast, I just can't think of where I saw it posted right now. But the pictures of markets are the images I liked the best, they reminded me of Mexican markets! Thanks Bernice, and again, welcome home!

    ReplyDelete