Monday, March 18, 2013

Story of My Life

I finally lined up about 30 years' worth of journals in chronological order and have started to read them. I have to decide whether I would take them to Seattle if I ever get to move there, or toss them out.

Many long years of struggle are documented in these notebooks. Reading them is a big distraction from what's going on nowadays. They are mostly written in very small script with an extra-fine pen.

While they provided a place to vent, muse, and plan when I had no other outlet, I can't tell whether or not they are worth saving. Memory Lane is a very strange place.

--Bernice

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, Bernice. I am in year 18 of keeping a daily journal (roughly 3 pages per day--about 150 single subject Staples notebooks). My handwriting from when I was younger has changed significantly, and I find it hard to even decipher some of what I wrote. I have been thinking about scanning them so I can have them accessible--of course, there is a part of me that thinks someone can find value in them when he or she writes a biography of my life--lol. Whatever I end up doing, I feel it will be traumatizing.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoy your trips down Memory Lane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to know how things changed from when you were writing to now. I think it would be a great perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bernice, don't throw out your past--it has made you the person you are. And you could write a book...or two...or three!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would rather you burn them all (or send them to Audrey if she insists) and re-begin your life unburdened by another self-created responsibility.

    ReplyDelete