Sunday, May 26, 2013

Magicicada Sighting

I took a train to Westfield to visit Trader Joe's and while I was waiting for a bus back to Plainfield, something flew past. It landed on a gravel lot near a piece of yellow debris and I went over to investigate.
 My first Magicicada sighting! So far we haven't seen the numbers we recalled from 17 years ago. This one was looking for love in all the wrong places, apparently. Here's a close-up:
Look at those big red eyes aglow with romance after 17 years underground! (Click to enlarge.)

Have you seen any in your neighborhood in Plainfield?

--Bernice

2 comments:

  1. I spotted one on a tree in the front lawn resting solo on a tree.
    i go to the westfield library (shout out to plainfield library..sometimes i do double book/study duty-lol) but on the way there,
    yes!..the sidewalk and trees are alive(or covered) with cicadas great and small..wow

    ReplyDelete