Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Unaffiliated Voters Can Declare Party At Polls

Thirty-nine percent of registered voters in Plainfield are "unaffiliated," meaning they are not Democrats, Republicans, Greens or members of any other party recognized by the state. If you are unaffiliated but want to vote in the June 4 Democratic primary, you can declare yourself a Democrat when you go to vote.

You can verify your ward and district polling place with the City Clerk.


The only Primary contest is for mayor. Democrats Adrian Mapp, the Third Ward City Council representative, and Mayor Sharon Robinson-Briggs are vying to be on the November ballot. On Nov. 5, the winning Democrat will face Republican Sandy Spector and any independent(s) who file on Primary Day. The  winner of the Nov.5 General Election will begin a four-year term on Jan. 1, 2014.




.

2 comments:

  1. I find this an underhanded way to get people to become affiliated with a specific party. I consider myself an independent and vote across the board for whatever candidate I best feel speaks to what I believe in, yet when I voted in the last primary I was forced to become a democrat simply because I wanted to cast a vote for someone who was a democrat. Of course, if I had voted for a republican (pigs will fall from the sky first before that ever happens in Plainfield), I would have automatically become a republican and this too would have been against my will. Once you are in, apparently you can't get out and everytime you vote in a primary, it can only be for one party even if you want to vote for the other party. Seems like a pretty "shyster" move on behalf of politicians. It's no mystery why there are so many undeclared voters, they don't want to be officially affiliated with any one running for office in this town and who can blame them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All you have to do before another election is change your party at least 55 days before the date. You can even change back to unaffiliated. I realize many people steer clear of parties. This was just a reminder. Many believe a Democratic primary winner is likely to win in November - if you feel strongly about the mayoral race, here's a way to have a say in June.

      Delete