Sunday, June 2, 2013

Heat, Gunshots, Noise - Aargh!

This heat wave is impeding my progress in snapping back from my Week of Hell fielding multiple meetings.

Last week I ended up skipping budget meetings and the Historic Preservation Commission's meeting, even though there were newsworthy items to report. Some meetings I just forgot, confused by the long weekend and Monday holiday as well as some last-minute changes. The stretch of 90-degree weather following close on cold, windy conditions was another factor.

Yesterday I went to the Shakespeare-in-Bloom event, which was lovely, all credit due to the Plainfield Garden Club. It was nice to see some old friends and I took a lot of photos with my new camera. Alas, when I downloaded them, something was amiss. There must be a setting that changed or wasn't set, because the images have too few pixels for my purposes. I searched through the "in-camera guide" and the slim booklet of instructions without figuring out the problem.

So that is one thing on my list today. I had a hard time falling asleep last night and was woken by three gunshots at 2 a.m. The friendly officer in Dispatch assured me police were on the way and asked if I had seen the shooter. Hell no! I was not about to put on my fuzzy slippers and traipse out to Park & Seventh to ID any shooter!

Today started with somebody using a blower or some other godawful noisy device at 7:30 a.m., not doing my jangled nerves any good. Isn't there a law about that?

So today is already a loss in terms of potential productivity. I know it is supposed to be a day of rest and all, but we need groceries and I was too tired to finish garden chores last night. Probably I can carry out a few simple tasks today without messing up. Watering the garden is at the top of my list.

And so it goes. Three more days and the bleeping primary will be over. That alone ought to clear the political miasma to some degree. Whatever the outcome, at least it will be over. I will be casting my vote in Ward 2, District 1 on Tuesday. Do you know your ward and district? Check your polling place on your sample ballot.

--Bernice

6 comments:

  1. Someone was shot in the shoulder at Kennedy Fried Chicken at 2 in the morning. I heard it on my scanner. The police got the shooter. Or, at least, someone fleeing the scene with a gun in their car.

    If someone were to invent a noiseless mower and leaf-blower, they'd make a fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Bernice,

    Our ordinance says no operation of machinery before 7:00 am. However, if it is overly loud,you can make a complaint.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we need to have a rule for weekends and make that noise ordanence start at 8 or 9 a.m. on weekends. So much for Sharon tells us that violence is almost non-existant with her in office. What a load.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why not look up the FCC law about giving out information heard on a police scanner?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Anonymous" at 5:16pm - I know the FCC law. I didn't post for any personal gain, nor while committing a crime. The information I gave in my comment is perfectly within the law. According to Section 705, since the signal isn't encrypted, it is available for use by the general public.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can answer a couple of questions....
    Believe it or not Jackie... If you use a battery operated mower it's practically silent. I know they are expensive, but my landlord has one here where I live. I've used it in the past when I was out of gas and didn't feel like going to get more at that time ( I am paid to maintain the lawn for him ).
    Bernice... per your camera... Believe it or not, go to YouTube. There are hundred and hundreds of home-made HELP videos that people have put online to help others who own the exact same equipment, cameras included. I've used it for my camera, software and setting up different applications on my computer with other electronic devices.

    ReplyDelete