Monday, February 28, 2011

Register for Movie Tickets?

This is not about Plainfield except for the fact that I would like to depart from the Queen City to go see a film in New York.

This is a first for me, as I don't go to the movies nor do I watch television, But I have become so entranced with Bill Cunningham's life and work that I decided to explore the logistics of going to see a new independent film about him that will be shown in March in New York City.


So I go online and what do I find out? You have to register to buy tickets for Film Forum! Is this the modern way? It is highly unlikely that I will ever go again, if I get there this one time.

BTW, I'm sure Audrey is falling off her chair if she is reading this, because she always wants me to go into the city when she visits and I am always only half-convinced it is worth all the fuss of budging from my humble abode. I am not like that Sussex County farmer who grew old without ever seeing the ocean from the Jersey Shore, but I'm close when it comes to traveling.

Now I am thinking I will just take my chances that this film will come out on Netflix some day (and that I will be able to watch a whole movie on Netflix without falling asleep at least twice).

Meanwhile, can anyone explain why a person has to register just to buy a movie ticket to Film Forum? I don't want to join a club, I just want to see one indie film.

--Bernice

5 comments:

  1. I believe they can be bought at the box office, without advance registration. This is the way I've always done it. From the FF website:

    "We sell tickets at our box office and online. Our box office is located at 209 West Houston Street, between 6th Avenue & Varick Street (7th Avenue), and opens at 12:15pm.

    Tickets can be purchased at the box office beginning 12:15 pm, 365 days a year up to 7 days in advance.

    Tickets can be purchased online 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, for single features up to 7 days in advance."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill Cunningham's pics were always a reason to check out the NY Times--most excellent!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a neat film. Now you have me wanting to see it. If you do the online registration, make sure you check that you don't want communications from them (unless you do). This isn't the standard for seeing movies these days, but it's apparently Film Forum's way.

    I might just have to go myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you go in person you can buy tickets at the box office. That's what we've always done. Just make sure you get there a bit early--there's always a line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should find a movie date and buy tix at the box office. Or, you can come to Seattle around 4/29 and see it here! xox

    ReplyDelete