Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sounds of Spring

The sound of a male cardinal claiming his territory or the loud "grracckle!" of an iridescent black bird showing off to a lady friend are the unmistakable markers of spring to me.

The doves are also cooing now and looking for nest material.

If you know birds, you can be almost anywhere and get an aural clue to what's going on in their world (our world, too).

A great ally for birders is the Ornithology Lab at Cornell University. Many years ago, we used to listen to recorded bird songs compiled by the lab, so when we took a walk in the Great Swamp or nearby woods, we could tell what birds to look for by hearing them first.

Now, of course, there are online resources as well.

Try listening to this link and the next time you are outdoors, you are likely to hear and recognize the Grackle.

A large number of these birds return to trees at Grace Church each year to breed. Soon we will see armies of their young patrolling our front lawn for edibles. They are very handsome birds indeed and are welcome visitors before they gather in great flocks and migrate in fall to warmer climes.

Bird study is a great way to introduce children to the world of nature and its cycles. It's a lifelong interest for many. So roll down those car windows, take a walk, pull the earplugs out while gardening and listen up to the spring symphony of birds!

--Bernice

3 comments:

  1. It probably says a lot about me that my brother's birthday gift to me on my 12th or 13th birthday was actually a Cornell Lab of Ornithology T-shirt (I had requested it). And I know I've mentioned this before, but Green Brook Park is a fantastic spot for birders - I saw two species there that I seldom have seen anywhere else, the Common Merganser and the Belted Kingfisher.

    ...and although it's a bit further away, a Great Horned Owl seems to have moved into a tree not far from my apartment in Bucks County Pa. Haven't seen him yet, but I sure have heard him! -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year I had the fortune to see a red tailed hawk up close, dropping into the field next door for dinner. On several occaisions I have also seen wild turkeys.Racoons, groundhogs, and even a chipmonk (not Alvin thought), and have even seen coyotes near the dumpster. Have you noticed that the number of feral cats and dogs is on the downswing?
    We've even had black bears in town. The Greater Plainfield Wildlife Refuge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bernice. Vincent is still looking for the bird in my apartment after I played those bird calls!

    ReplyDelete