Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bread and Sunflowers

Saturday was sunny but with a cold wind blowing. It took me until mid-afternoon to decide that a trip to Westfield for bread was in order. Local markets have plenty of Wonder Bread and many Latino varieties of pan, but none of the multi-grain stuff I am supposed to eat.

The 59 bus came right on time at 3:37 p.m. and I enjoyed seeing the earliest buds of yellow forsythia and red maple tree flowers along the way.

Trader Joe's was bustling and I soon had a cloth bag full of goodies with 20 minutes to spare before the return bus was due. Besides groceries, there were lots of flowers for sale, including a startlingly cheerful array of sunflowers. Out on the street, winter-hardy purple and yellow pansies in planters looked a little battered by the harsh winds.

I had time to browse for another pair of the pants I got last week on sale at the Gap. Now that I have lost enough weight to fit in size 10, I thought I might as well have two pairs. No luck there.

The bus going back to Plainfield was due at 4:30 p.m., but it was late and the wind was fierce. I had plenty of time to ponder the need to travel afar for groceries you can't get in the Queen City.

So ... when will that promised Trader Joe's open in the PNC Bank building? You can bet I will be among the first in line!

--Bernice

5 comments:

  1. And I will be right behind you. The weather was deceiving yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be the first positive addition to the downtown retail in a long long time!!! Come on Trader Joe's!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shake my head in disgust every time I am forced to spend my money in Westfield, South Plainfield, Watchung and North Plainfield. And I, like you, am not exactly buying 5th Avenue items. It would be nice to see Trader Joe's here, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat Turner KavanaughMarch 27, 2011 at 2:02 PM

    are you kidding? the "proposed" Trader Joe's in the PNC complex has morphed into a disco or something like that

    ReplyDelete
  5. The old people still remember the bus as the "49", but it went all the way to Bound Brook.

    ReplyDelete