Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Pretty Plant

I haven't had the inclination to go out shooting photos for a while, but here is a shot of one variety of Coleus from my indoor garden. The plants all have different color combinations, mainly maroon and green, but I especially like this one with cream and pink details.

Plant propagation is so much fun for me. I grew up in an urban setting where the only wild flowers were weeds that grew in a vacant lot. We never had plants in the house. As an adult I discovered the joys of nature study and passed a lot of it on to my children, who still know the names of many flowers and birds. A large part of it was learning how plants grow and reproduce.

Over the years I have populated my gardens with lots of plants grown from cuttings or divisions rather than expensive nursery plants. I recommend it both as a way to save money and also to enjoy "plant parenthood" by growing your own.

--Bernice 

1 comment: