Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Farewell to Mark

Mark Spivey

Starting in June 2008, Mark Spivey became Plainfield's storyteller, recounting the happy and sad news, the successes and scandals, while perfectly capturing the unique spirit of the Queen City.

Mark is moving on after giving us five of his best years and a small group gathered Monday to wish him well and say thanks.
He assured us he'll still be within hailing distance in his new job.
And he'll still be keeping an eye on the Queen City, just through a different lens.
Mark lived up to the motto, "Keepin' it real in Da Field" (though he never got that promised T-shirt, JM). He gained street cred along with professional recognition, and many, many Plainfielders across the city will miss him.

Someone said he was the best Plainfield reporter the Courier News ever had, and I must concur. 

All the best, Mark, and don't be a stranger!





9 comments:

  1. Good luck to, Mark. He was there to help with the Connelly mess and has represented Plainfield well over the years. He will be missed by me and many others.

    Bob Bolmer

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos explain a lot now HMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat Turner KavanaughAugust 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM

    Bernice: fond and proud as I am of Mark - I'm the one who suggested the party although I knew I couldn't attend - I have, perhaps, a longer memory of Courier News coverage in Plainfield, and I rank Mark up there with Jack Gill and you. I went to work for The Courier when it was on Church Street, and still hear its sadly diminished slap in the driveway each day. Good luck, Mark, and thank heavens for you, Bernice. And what is anon. 3:09 pm on about? Let's start with the fact that he/she is a spineless anon, like an amoeba. I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck Mark in your future endeavors. Your coverage of Plainfield was appreciated. I continue to hope for fair and even coverage of Plainfield from the CN as I continue to purchase it from news stands - I also miss the daily delivery, even memories of the early and afternoon editions.

    D. Scott Belin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Bernice, and Pat, and Bob. It sure was tough to read this without getting a little emotional. I will miss you all. -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. mark,
    I too am very sorry we're losing you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good will to Reporter Mark Spivey. I hope that Plainfield gets another reporter like you. You are like family. You rode with me in gang neighborhoods, you were there when people got shot. You allowed me to explain the dynamics of Plainfield Police Division and of the streets. Never did you cross me. You gave a true version of the City of Plainfield. My Dawg.. Mark Spivey...LB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark, as I said at the gathering, your coverage of our attempts to keep Muhlenberg open was superb. And you have been so good to Plainfield, and so good for Plainfield, that I frankly don't know what we're going to do without you! Good luck in your new career--in which I know you'll do wonders--and please stay in touch with us!

    With love and affection,from me and the entire community...

    Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I crossed paths with Mark while researching David Connolly's malfeasance. Mark was always a step ahead of me. It was good to see him at Connolly's sentencing to 9 years in federal prison. Kudos to Mark on the excellent job he did reporting, and wherever he is today I hope he is doing well.

    ReplyDelete