Saturday, February 7, 2015

Mayor Tells His Own Story

In these days of thin news coverage, Mayor Adrian O. Mapp is telling his own story in a weekly online newsletter.

My Google gmail account puts it under "promotions," along with Nordstrom and JetPens ads, but maybe it is fitting, because the mayor is promoting his administration and the city. The latest one describes a new bakery, lists cultural events, updates the public on the police accreditation process and urges Affordable Care Act registration, with assistance available, among other topics.

I have come to look forward to receiving these communications. I did not go about it in the proper way, which is to call the mayor's office at (908) 753-3310 and leave your email address, but I guess my email address is out there and I got signed up anyway.

I urge all residents also to poke around the city web site. It has a lot of new features, including online permit access, which I used to see in Westfield and Scotch Plains when I made my rounds.as a reporter years ago. You can also fill out Open Public Records Act requests online at the same site.

The current web site can be obscure. For example, to see the Municipal Code, you have to click on the City Clerk's link, then on "All downloads." Once there, click the other links. "Forms" is where you will find the application to serve on boards and commissions. Other listings are important for business owners and professionals who want to provide services to the city.

If you are a property owner who needs to know more about the land use boards, you must click "Departments," then Public Works & Urban Development, then Divisions, then Planning and you will finally reach information on the Zoning Board of Adjustment, Planning Board, Historic Preservation Commission and Shade Tree Commission. Any or all of these boards and commissions may be involved in new development or changes to existing properties.

A new web site is on the way, but meanwhile look around and see what is there.

--Bernice

3 comments:

  1. I was trying to reach information on Historic Preservation and when I tried the link for the website, it shows "This Account Has Been Suspended".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that portion was outsourced and there may be a billing issue, however there is still a lot of basic information on the city site. Perhaps the administration can explain the issue.

      Delete
  2. Just received my first edition. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete