Thursday, July 23, 2015

Insect Pix

The Praying Mantises that emerged in early May had many challenges, but some have survived. Here is one trying to be inconspicuous in the Miscanthus sinensis. (Click on images to enlarge.)
This one is lunching on a bug while high atop a Sunflower. The legs of the bug fell down on the leaves below.
 
 Here you can see the large forelegs the Mantis uses to catch and hold prey, in contrast to the four skinny legs
I have seen Mantises use those forelegs to clean their heads and antennae, like a cat washing its face.
These green Bees with yellow pockets of pollen on their legs are frequent fliers to the Echinacea and Black-Eyed Susans.

I love these garden sights and hope you also like seeing what's buzzing in my yard near Park & Seventh.

--Bernice

4 comments:

  1. I always love to see what's happening in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernice, there is so much mystery and beauty in nature. I remember your previous Praying Mantis photos. They were incredible as these are. Thanks for sharing. I'm watching!!!

    Dee Dameron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a thing for mantises. :)

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a lot of them this year than previous years. I have had them sit on my arm while I'm working in the yard. We have even fed them small insects and it's amazing how they hold them and eat their prey.

    ReplyDelete