Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Shoutout to Mark

Hey Mark, I will be bird-watching this fall from my porch window, where I can see little visitors in a big pine tree. It helps that I'm on the second story, as peering up from the ground makes identification more difficult. Here in the middle of Plainfield, I have seen the Brown Creeper and the Ruby-Crowned Kinglet in this tree, among many more common birds like the Black-Capped Chickadee and the Tufted Titmouse. When I used to pick up cop news in Westfield, I checked the pond in Mindowaskin Park for sightings of the Double-Crested Cormorant, which could be seen diving and swimming.

Seeing an unusual bird is always a treat and brightens up the day! Happy birdwatching!

--Bernice

4 comments:

  1. I see a lot of red bellied woodpeckers in my neighborhood. I'm going to have to look for that cormorant in Westfield when I make my Trader Joe's run Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jackie..I have never seen a Cormorant and would enjoy the sight to be sure. I have Cardinals galore in my yard as well as the usual spattering of the common other birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruby-crowned Kinglets are some of my favorites - they're so small, I think a hummingbird might be able to beat one in a tussle. And cormorants are absolutely everywhere in Peace Valley Park, the gorgeous Bucks County site just a few miles from my home. They'll dive for a fish, then surface 90 seconds later and 50 yards away! -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen the Double-Crested Cormorant at Spring Lake park in South Plainfield. It is amazing to see them dive and emerge with a fish.

    ReplyDelete