Monday, October 25, 2010

Some Curiosities

Returning from vacation, I have spent some time checking my accumulated mail and looking at web sites to catch up.

There was an "official city newsletter" in the mail that had lots of information, including Public Works Service Zones. Being the kind of person who read the back of cereal boxes as a child and who can hardly refrain from perusing those long lists of tax lien delinquents, I scanned the two-page chart and found not only a few typos, but the very interesting inadvertent "product placement" reference to "Cranapple Lane." Maybe the company will send over a few cases of juice for the free plug.

The city web site has yet another religious reference, this time to the Bahai holiday, "Birth of the Bab." Click here for more information. Not sure why it was on the calendar, although I am a great advocate of learning more about religious beliefs other than one's own.

Nor did I get the reason why there should be not only a notation, but a link to the Far Hills Race Meet. I have had to cover that event in the past as a reporter and I can't imagine anything so far removed from the urban experience. I was always glad to get back to Plainfield after one of those assignments.

Anyway, this is not to criticize, just to reflect my surprise at these little curiosities. I'm just sayin.'

--Bernice

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes your surprises over life's little curious things make your blog a joy Bernice!

    ReplyDelete