Sunday, January 22, 2012

A "Ghost" Tale

A Dec. 17 fire brought attention to this building on North Avenue and to this old "ghost sign" dating back to the early 20th century.
As of Thursday, half the building had been demolished in a new twist in the saga - first the building had been declared in danger of collapse, then officials said the owner planned to save it, then  the city issued a demolition permit.

Inclement weather has prevented me from venturing downtown for an update on the building. I hope to offer one soon.

Meanwhile, nearby on Park Avenue the former Courier News building received an upgrade in windows on its facade, which includes a ghost sign at the top. I'm told the plans for the building call for preservation of the ghost sign. Here's a picture from Jan. 14.
After the Courier News, Thomas Furniture and later Atkol occupied the building. The large Thomas Furniture sign that once hung from the facade had to be removed after it started to come loose.
The many-paned glass panels were taken out as part of the rehabilitation of the building for residential use on the upper floors.
The change is complete in this photo. Plaintalker is hoping that the ground-level facade will soon get cleaned up, as it is very unsightly.

Over on Watchung Avenue, there is a building with an interesting painted sign dating back to the 1970s. Even though I remember some of those days as if they were yesterday, the decades are marching on and soon it will be a half-century since those heady days.
Click on the image above to enlarge it. The Equity Press dates back to 1902, according to the sign, which proclaims "over 75 years" of business. Interstate Printing boasts a founding date of 1926.
This building across from police headquarters has an odd shape that must have been related to its beginnings as a print shop. The message harks back to the days when Plainfield had a solid industrial base, while now its main ratable base is housing stock. These signs are valuable to historians and should be preserved, if only in photos. If you know of any in your own neighborhood, consider documenting them for posterity.


--Bernice

11 comments:

  1. Plainfield is on a downward spiral!
    "Out with the Good" (architecturally speaking) and in with the "Hood" or "Barrio" look if you please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now Blackdog, how did you get an ethnic slant out of this post? Or is that just your standard reaction to change?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only constant in life, is change! And in and of itself, it is neither good nor bad, it just is! And the changes that are taking place in town are based on the demographic changes to the area! 2500 Hispanics in the 2000 census versus 25,000 in the 2010 census.That is a drastic change over a short period.

    I guess my feelings are akin to those of my ancestors when Benjamin Hull and John Barclay first settled in and started to change the area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think time will show there is a much more complicated scenario to this particular story.
    Funny you should mention Park-Madison. I think it preceded this mayor. I just visited that block today and saw an upscale eyewear store and some national franchises."Ghetto" is an easy word to toss out - not sure what you mean ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, Bernice, Park-Madison did indeed precede this mayor. I wish it were finished--there is still that clock and the sidewalks to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take down Bob's comment Bernice, it is bias and I am offended by it.

    Jim Spear

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is Jim Spear your "BOSS" Bernice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but I had my doubts about Bob's use of "ghetto" as an adjective and I value Jim Spear's perspective. Jim is both open-minded and fair-minded and his take on the comment basically confirmed my feeling that it went too far.

      Delete
  9. Thank you Bernice for taking it down, and I apologize for not "asking" you to do so. I only realized that I didn't ask when I saw it posted, not when I wrote it.

    I agree with you, the comment "went too far".

    My only wish is that Bob would read the comments after his own when he posts. I don't think he does. And I don't think he realizes how much his name calling offends. . . hey free speech, right? but attack the act, not the person.

    @Blackdog -- there is another popular blogger in this City that specializes in name calling. And he offers no regrets and no apologizes. You should check him out. Personally I feel his blog at times can do us (the City) a disservice as he divides us more. But like he says "it's his soapbox", and I am grateful for the time he spends each day providing us with news links. I found that 'part' very useful.

    jim spear

    ReplyDelete