Tuesday, January 10, 2012

PMUA Meets Tonight

The Plainfield Municipal Utilities Authority meets tonight at 6 p.m. at headquarters, 127Roosevelt Ave., for a rate hearing followed by the regular meeting for January.

A few days ago I got off the No. 59 bus at Richmond Street and walked over to Cottage Place to get a closer look at the shiny new trucks in the PMUA lot. I had been seeing them from the bus window and tried to get a photo without success. Although I had counted as many as five at times, on this day only two were in the lot.

The authority has taken different tacks for solid waste pickup since its inception, first contracting with an outside hauler, then (if memory serves) purchasing its own fleet and then leasing as a better option. Whether these shiny new trucks represent a purchase or lease, I can't say, but they look like state-of-the-art vehicles for solid waste and recycling pickup.

The handout at the December meeting included a notation of $100,000 for capital outlay and I wrote down a comment that the authority was starting to acquire equipment. These vehicles look like they must cost that amount each. It would be interesting to know the full capital outlay for this equipment and what budget year it belongs with.

--Bernice

2 comments:

  1. I think what I don't get is why we can throw paper and bottles and cans all in one can and it gets dumped into the truck...how is it separated and really recycled???? It was explained to me by one of the workmen that the State allows this....?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the PMUA contracted with private haulers for trash removal, it was much cheaper! I would bet we could see real savings of 70% if they put the garbage contract out to bid. Why won't they do it? Because it would cut their attorneys, engineers, contractors, and other cronies out of their share of residents hard earned money. Now someone tells me a settlement has been offered? WHAT???

    ReplyDelete