Friday, January 27, 2012

Warm Now, Roasting Later?

Mau's cooling center, July 2011


Today (Friday, Jan.27) the temperature may rise to 61 degrees.

In the old days, we might call it the "January thaw," but there hasn't been much to thaw in 2012.

In the third week of April, I recall a break in the weather where my family would plan a trip to Bowman's Hill to see the wildflowers. But the temperature was in the 70s, not the 90s.

New Jersey State Climatologist Dave Robinson was busy last year documenting record highs in the Spring and the Summer. Click here to read his July 2011 report.

In light of the tendency toward warmer winters and hotter summers, I would like to propose that energy companies rethink their assistance to seniors and disabled people and provide a discount for cooling in summer. It could be a floating benefit, usable for heat or air conditioning, but I bet seniors would rather put on extra sweaters or a down vest in winter rather than suffer excessive heat in summer.

Local senior housing has air conditioners, but the cost must be borne by the tenant, I'm told. Seniors end up trying to tough out a heat wave without running up the electric bill, but 100-degree heat has many punishing effects on the body, especially for those who are old and frail.

As much as I love getting around so easily now on foot and on public transportation, I am very aware of how this trend is going to play out in July. I actually did have to contrive a "cooling center" for the cat last July. My personal weapon of choice against the heat was a spray bottle for frequent spritzing.

We certainly have had extreme winter weather in recent years, but the ratio of record lows to record highs is shifting.I am suggesting that public health advocates and energy suppliers take a look at how to cope with those 90- to 105-degree days that are becoming more common.

--Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment