Thursday, November 7, 2013

Ill But Recovering

I spent the day Wednesday waiting for my aches, pains and agita to go away. The butterfly jammies helped me believe I would feel better.

Elections are stressful for those who would report on them as well as for all the candidates and their supporters. Plaintalker was not interested in the last-minute nastiness that some wanted the blog to cover. The YouTube videos of ill-advised comments will live on without Plaintalker getting involved.

Regarding such comments, they reminded me of a cautionary experience I once had. I was in the office of a Person of Authority when said person demonstrated how to have a third party listen in on a private conversation. Believe me, ever after I assumed my own phone conversations with this Person of Authority were potentially being shared.

In these days of audio and video easily recorded and transmitted by smartphones, anyone's words and image can be captured and disseminated. The image of Gov. Chris Christie haranguing a teacher and one of a local party official cursing were both meant to embarrass the speakers and horrify voters. The teacher belongs to the Badass Teacher Association and was hailed for her "Rosa Parks" moment, while Christie's team had to do damage control as the image went viral.

The four-second clip of Assemblyman Jerry Green was pitched as a mean guy attacking an innocent poll worker. Green heads both the Plainfield and Union County Democratic Committees and was running for re-election to the state Assembly on Nov. 5. Now that even the air around elementary school students can be blue with bad language when school lets out, a choleric septuagenarian cursing does not have the same impact it might once have had.

The point is not who is right or wrong in these exchanges, but the fact that such behavior can be portrayed far beyond the original site of the confrontation, with much spin. The lesson is, obviously, to think before one speaks or gestures in public nowadays. Or even when one gets on the phone with a devious Person of Authority.

--Bernice


10 comments:

  1. personally and in private... I "swear like a trucker" and like it... When I step outside my personal domain, I quite simply remind myself... "Would I want my daughter hearing this?" ( as I don't do it in front of her ) and the answer is NO. So I don't.
    I behave civilly and treat others with common courtesy. I also work with the public and will not tolerate that language from a customer whether it's based in unimaginable joy or anger.. I have listened and been sympathetic to a customers complaint and will resolve it to my best abilities until they drop the f-bomb where I will immediately say, " You know, I wanted to help you and make you happy until now. You can't control your mouth and realize no one needs to hear that in public, you can simply get out. Go, you are not welcome here."
    If you can't be a respectful member of society, don't be a part of it. Do society a favor and take care of what Darwinism missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I avoided the polls on Election Day (aside from going to my polling place to vote). I find the haranguing, arguing, and venom-spewing quite ridiculous. By the time voters are LITERALLY 100 feet from their polling sites and heading in to vote, don't you think they already have an idea as to the folks they will be voting for? Who finds all that verbal garbage persuasive? In the past, I have been accosted (especially at Hubbard School) by partisans who were out screaming and haranguing in a way that I considered embarrassing for the candidate/faction they were supposed to be representing. I have been on the receiving end of foul language (cursing) ever since I became involved in politics (from constituents as well as from "Persons of Authority"). I am sure I will continue to hear it, but I will never get used to it.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, you'll say anything now to get Jerry Greens blessing so you can be reelect when it's your turn. From the 'New Dems' to 'One Plainfield'. I have no respect, What a joke.

      Delete
    2. word lol

      I suggest Rebecca change her blog title to "An Armchair liberal's vision for Plainfield"...

      Nothing radical about her anymore, IMO

      Delete
    3. You'd be surprised how many voters have no idea who they are voting for at the polls, especially for smaller races. So, the answer is no... often they don't have an idea.

      Delete
  3. Always so classy, Plainfield City. No matter how much you try to push the city ahead, as long as you have the ghettoness that exists, Plainfield will not be a pleasant place to live in. Face the fact, Plainfield WILL NEVER BE Westfield!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's talk about spin. Let's talk about Dan Damon being tapped as designated spokesperson for the Mapp transition team. Let's talk about his blind partisanship, his rumor mongering, his untruths, and his censorship. Let's talk about how every good thing will be puffed up beyond reality, and every bad thing will be covered up. I wonder if this is an indication of things to come. I wonder if this is the first misstep of the administration-elect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a concern resident, I just believe that all elected officials are to be held to a higher standard when out in public, and should never allow themselves to be video “cursing” in the street ... As for Daniel Damon, Mapp should consider distancing himself from this guy’s bias journalism. We all understand blogging falls under the American Constitutional right to exercise freedom of speech however; we are trying change the perception of Plainfield. Daniel's blogging does not always show our city in a positive light. and could hurt the new Mayors administration. Plainfield is not trying to be Westfield or any other community; we are trying to improve our community. I must point out a difference between Plainfield and Westfield… Westfield would never allow its dirty laundry to be written in any of the major newspapers or community blogs.

    Something to Consider!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please forgive me for changing the topic. I was wondering how we get the word out to everyone that there is a positive effort to improve Plainfield? Please see the web site: http://raritanvalleyrail.com/

    A one seat ride is a meaningful positive change for Plainfield as it: 1) held many of us commuters, and, 2) likely would improve home value for everyone. Please pass the message to everyone in the community including Mr. Green and Mr. Mapp - perhaps they might both lead a campaign together to improve Plainfield.

    Again, apologies for changing the topic. Best, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. In reply to Anonymous 3:09 PM. Plainfield SHOULD try to be like Westfield. I'm planning on moving out of Plainfield as soon as I can, and I certainly will not pick a community that mimics Plainfield!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete