Wednesday, June 23, 2010

New Garden Fave

I have wanted to try growing Thunbergia for some time. When my neighbor wanted to plant fava beans, I found Thunbergia in the same seed catalogue. I planted some in one of those green hanging bags and more in a hanging pot. This week, we saw the first flowers. It is also called Black-Eyed Susan Vine, though it is in a totally different family from the composite Black-Eyed Susans.

The first flowers were yellow, but some orange ones are coming. This is a cheerful-looking plant that is quite decorative. Click here to learn more about Thunbergia.
--Bernice

4 comments:

  1. Do you have to dead-head those ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers just fall off when spent, but it is a good idea to pinch back growing tips to make the vine bushy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmm... I am going to have to look into those...Unfortunately, my favorite flower -- the Marigold, is simply too much work for me to truly enjoy it !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Bernice. Love to hear about your adventures in gardening.

    ReplyDelete