Monday, June 7, 2010

A Pea Patch by the Train Station

Wildflowers can be found anywhere, as fellow blogger and photographer Jackie will attest. Passing by the station today, I saw a patch of ground that was host to at least five members of the Pea family. The one that caught my eye first was a quirky yellow plant called Crowtoes, or Birds-Foot Trefoil. The brown seed pods splay out in the shape of a - guess what ...

In the same patch, I could see White Clover, Red Clover, Alfalfa and another yellow one that might have been Smaller Hop Clover.

The Pea family is very large. Its members range from roadside weeds to tall Locust trees and the beloved garden delight, Sweet Pea. Click here to learn more about this plant family.

--Bernice Paglia

1 comment:

  1. I have such a hard time identifying anything that is not a major shrub/bush or tree...It took me days on the internet to discover the most populous weed I have in my garden is "BINDWEED"...pretty overall as an accent, but it's entwining vines choke the life out of favorable plants such a ferns, forsythia and my roses. I have thought of purchasing a book about it, but I relegated myself to simply taking pics and posting online at "garden questions" websites...

    ReplyDelete