Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Downtown Dwellers Increase


Image of "Courier News" building while under renovation

When I was a kid, my family lived in an apartment “over the store,” a common urban situation. There was a deli downstairs from us where I sometimes had embarrassing encounters with teachers on days when I had conned my mother into letting me stay home from school.

Now developer Frank Cretella has a new apartment offering that is far more elegant. How about living over a “French Brasserie” in downtown Plainfield?

The 1909 home of Courier-News Publishing on Park Avenue now has eight apartments ready for occupancy, according to a flier I picked up there Tuesday on my way to the bank. There is a mailbox on the front of the building that contains the fliers. The ground floor will have "Restaurant Retour," described both as a brasserie and and bistro, either way a departure from American luncheonettes and fast food joints. If it's an authentic brasserie, count on Mark Spivey to tell you what beer goes best with choucroute.

In my wanderings downtown, I used to wonder why the floors over existing stores were not all occupied. Now, between the two refurbished mixed-use Paramount projects and the two Cretella buildings, all on Park Avenue, there is a new influx of downtown apartment dwellers. Cretella's approach is more sophisticated than Paramount's, but more people downtown has long been a goal of the TOD crowd. It will be interesting to see what kind of a difference these new apartments make, as Cretella plans a couple hundred more in various downtown projects.

The new apartments are ready for occupancy starting March 1, according to the flier. Rentals range from $1,200 to $1,350. Call (201) 761-0025 ext. 10 for a showing.

--Bernice

2 comments:

  1. Looking good - finally, some signs of change and hope for Plainfield!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that they've done renovation work on my apartment, I'm not looking! It's amazing the work they've been doing on the building ... finally.

    ReplyDelete