Sunday, February 19, 2012

Infirmities

By now, everyone within earshot has heard about my bad knee - how it is impeding my ability to get around on foot, how I have a lot of theories on how it got damaged but no facts and especially no official diagnosis or prognosis, how much I want this to be over with.

Like Dan, I try to have as little truck with the medical profession as possible, but several passes through The Merck Manual of Medical Information yielded no direction on where to start with home remedies. So I went to a doctor to ask for help on sorting out the possibilities. Heat? Ice? Support? The doctor added a couple of scenarios I never even thought of ( a dread bacterial infection, uric acid crystals from inner space) and prescribed an anti-inflammatory drug.

Being preternaturally suspicious of modern medications, I looked it up and found foremost among its possible side effects the following: Heart attack, stroke, maybe a hole in the stomach if not taken with enough food. No thanks.

The knee isn't talking. I have offered bed rest (long enough to read "The House of Mirth" in its entirety), extreme caution on stair steps and various prayers and imprecations. We'll see, says the knee.

Audrey wants me to come out to Seattle in May for my birthday and is planning attendance at the Seattle Rock Orchestra's May 12 Beatles Tribute by way of celebration. You better shape up, I growl at the knee. It's a five-hour flight to get there, so I will be practicing prolonged sitting at upcoming council meetings to get in shape.

As old age goes, both Dan and I are in the young-old phase (see more here), but when you are sick or temporarily disabled, you feel as creaky as the old-old. So, dear readers, wish Dan a speedy recovery and please wish me a quick return to being a fully ambulatory hyperlocal curmudgeon. (Wait, does that make me an old FAHC?)

--Bernice

9 comments:

  1. Just wait till you get to the "old" (like me at 78) or the "old-old" (like Joe at 86)--you will have all kinds of exciting adventures, many in the world of medicine. Joe is doing reasonably well since his December 2010 stroke, but my ocular melanoma metastasized to my liver, so I am going through chemo every three weeks or so--the list of possible side effects is scary.

    In the meantime of course our property taxes go up while our income doesn't--like so many other people, we hope for legislative action to cut property taxes. That would help a lot more than cutting the income tax, and spread the burden out more fairly.

    We should all keep in mind that if we had been born 200 years ago, none of us would have lived to be this old--so let's enjoy it while we can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dottie, you and Joe are both heroes to Plainfield for many reasons. All the best in these new challenges. Your last point is well taken - hope you are still enjoying Gilbert & Sullivan and solidarity songs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, gosh, gee, Bernice, thanks! Joe and I found your comment touching.

      Take care of yourself and take care of that knee--it's so helpful in getting around to have two functional knees!

      And I hope Dan has a speedy recovery.

      Best to you, as always!

      Delete
  3. Here's wishing you and Dan the best, Bernice.

    Sincerely,

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I can qualify as young-old as I have a few years to go before 60. That's scary enough for me as I think we all believe we're a bit eternally young until the body parts start going awry.

    I too tend to avoid doctors and my only "regularly seen doc" is my orthopedic surgeon much to the chagrin of my insurance company. I only saw him because I need to walk. As a victim of really bad arthritis in the knees, you know I'm getting around on two knee replacements these days. I managed to drop my bathroom sink on my older knee the other day and, despite a huge bruise, it's no more worse for the wear.

    That said, unless arthritis is the cause of your problems, I have no real advice. I can offer you tons of sympathy as I know what it's like to be a pedestrian in lifestyle and have horrible knee pain. I do have an immobilizer I can offer you, but I imagine it would be too large for you. If you want to give it a try, let me know.

    I hope the knee pain lets up soon and you're literally back on your feet again! The same goes out to Dan. I guess he really was sick if they admitted him to the hospital immediately. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. 30year ago II would have considered you all crazy, but today perhaps there is justification in your feelings. See my blog today (adv.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you guys get well soon. You both provide an essential service to the Plainfield community.

      Delete
  6. I just hope you and Dan get better soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Bernice,

    I wish you and Dan a speedy recovery.

    I will say that I enjoyed reading your scenario. It was out of your usual genre of reporting, and I liked the commentary.

    Perhaps when you are sitting for long periods of time, you may indulge us with some more writings.

    Speedy recovery, my friend.

    ReplyDelete