Monday, March 25, 2013

Walkability? Not Just Yet

My walk from Park & Seventh to Drake House Sunday made me wonder how far the city has progressed in "walkability," or being friendly to pedestrians.

The first challenge was negotiating Park Avenue's 600 block, where many people congregate and block the entire sidewalk as they socialize. I got through and decided to cut over to Central Avenue by way of West Fifth Street. While taking note of some spring flowers in yards (lots of Vernal Whitlow Grass), I saw quite a bit of trash and graffiti. Actually the graffiti was interesting, if only to see what gangs were representing. But I'm sure the desired middle-class downtown population for TOD-D housing would not take as much interest as a former reporter who had to keep track of crime trends.

I was trying to avoid going up Plainfield Avenue past the dangerous blocks near the train tracks, so I walked up Central Avenue past the main fire station to West Front Street. The challenge there was not to be mistaken for a female on the loose (from what I used to read in the cop news, guys are not picky and will try to accost any woman or girl), so I was ostentatiously listening to my Walkman radio and carrying a dorky L.L. Bean tote and walking really fast.

I was almost there when I saw a group of young men with a pit bull. I tried to pass without freaking over the pit bull. As I approached with my head down, one of the young men asked, "Wanna buy?" but assuming he was not talking about bouquets of daffodils, I marched on.

My walk home was considerably improved by having some nice cookies from Drake House to munch on. The pit bull kiddies were gone, but after a block or so of  men leering at any female, I cut down New Street to West Second and then back down Park on the west side to Twin City to pick up some vegetables for dinner.

So optimum walkability is not yet here in these Queen City streets. As a pedestrian, I had to think ahead and be overly cautious on my route. Not having a ton or more of metal vehicle around me, I felt somewhat vulnerable to hazard. But then again, I didn't have to find a parking space and the talk at Drake House was really good! More on that later.

--Bernice

10 comments:

  1. And that is a shame, Bernice. Plainfield has such beauty to it.

    First, people have to stop being in denial and realize that it is not a nice looking town.

    "Being better than it was before", is not an excuse for not forging a campaign to get this city safe and clean.

    I was encouraged at the First Ward meeting that many people in the 4th Ward were there and wanted to do something about quality of life in this city. It said to me that we are starting to become ONE PLAINFIELD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have more guts than me to walk those streets. If I had to walk, I would have taken Watchung Ave. to Front Street and stay off any other side streets and stick to the main roads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Central Avenue is neglected beyond belief.. no crosswalks at intersections, no crossing signals at MAJOR intersections.. sad really.. Apparently the traffic pain alone is too much for Plainfield.. I challenge the members of the city council and the soon to be distant memory Sharon to cross at West 7th and Central as well as West Front Street and Central to name a couple intersections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are drug dealers everywhere. There is a crew of them hanging out on Park and 7th.

    Wilson Surgical Supply, on Park Ave, has their door locked at all times. I went there to get some things. They said he have to keep it locked to keep out the panhandlers, the residents of the Park Madison hotel and the drug dealers. I had to shoulder past some rough looking guys who were openly talking about "bricks", accompanied by a gang look/body language.

    Wilson says they are looking for another location -- out of Plainfield. I can understand why.

    Plainfield can plan all they want for TOD -- no one will buy until the city is cleaned up and females (who do most shopping), feel safe getting out of their car and going into a store.

    We are in a down economy. People will take their shopping dollars where they feel safe and comfortable that have goods meeting their needs.

    One Saturday I did a drive down Front Street -- I counted 5 merchants that had mattresses out at the street. Is this the image we want for our city's downtown?

    Where is code enforcement? Where are the police patrols? Where is the Chamber of Commerce?

    Olive

    ReplyDelete
  5. And, Olive, to piggy back on your questions, where is the mayor and the leadership of this administration.

    People may not like Mapp, but do you really beleive this will change if "I'm the f******ng
    mayor" is re-elected?

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first visited Plainfield in 1939 all of the homes, from the modest to the grandiose, had but 1 mail box by the front door. As I walk along Watchung Avenue now and pass numerous degraded properties with 2 to 4 mail boxes, the grounds ruined covered with litter, and the streets denuded of the statuesque trees that once lined them, I can not help but wonder whether that recollection is a dream rather than a memory.. ...... Bill Kruse

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are plenty of empty parking lots, but since there are no paint marks on the streets for reasonable lenght parking spots, the streets look like flea markets with autos pulled any which way. Forget about the 15 minute parking rules, some cars are there hours and there is no turn over for a local merchat to get a new customer !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alvin T. Hester Sr.March 26, 2013 at 9:24 AM

    I'm glad to hear that you walked. Even though I was raised in the area, I can imagine a female of any race walking. That walk showed many people that was not seen by your eyes, that Plainfield is still a city for all. The pit bull shows how much has change from the days of the mut.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I left when you did. I would have offered a ride. It was a great presentation. I hope you post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bernice:
    Health does not allow me to walk as much as I want to. Blessings be that you can do that walk. Everyone who lives in Plainfield SHOULD be able to do the same.

    Born raised in this town, we who care need to get together to make it possible that EVERYONE can make that walk.

    Scary as it sounds, when I have to, only on occasion do I feel intimidated to walk the streets. The 'hangers out there' don't bother those walking.

    Keep walking, maybe more of us will be willing to join with you.

    ReplyDelete