Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Mantises Emerging!

This year we found five praying mantis egg cases around our back yard and then I spotted four more on the other side of our fence, on stubs of branches left after Public Works cleaned Lot 7. I cut them off and saved them, hence the string used to tie them to a branch on our side. The little white things are emerging mantises.
I have been waiting through this cool spring for the new crop of mantises to emerge. Today I saw many on some Evening Primroses. Click to enlarge this image of one. They are as endearing as any newborn creature. Even when tiny, they have a jaunty air and seem ready to conquer the world. Unfortunately, though several hundred may be emerging in our yard this year, they are at risk from larger creatures and even their hungry fellow mantises. But with nine egg cases this year, we expect to have many mantises to watch as they go through their life cycle this summer.

So far, we have no cicadas. I am hoping to make a field trip to Fanwood this week, as I hear they are out in profusion.

--Bernice

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to visit your garden again this summer for mantis shots! So far, no cicadas spotted here in my neighborhood. Hopefully they will show up in your 'hood and the birds will feast on them instead of the praying mantis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the mantises!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete