Monday, January 20, 2014

Home Sick

Sorry I missed the Frontiers program today, but once again I was not up to attending.
I hope there will be some coverage in the media.
I did watch the reorganization meeting that I missed. It was on YouTube and I had to watch in two segments, as it was three and a half hours long. There were some disturbing aspects that I had heard about but now comprehend better, having seen the interaction for myself.

The police leadership standoff is disconcerting and I hope it will be resolved soon. On last Wednesday I had an encounter with a stranger in my own front yard that left me quite shaken. The police officers were very nice and helpful, but after it was over, I felt the lack of permanent leadership at the top in a personal way.

It is my hope to attend Tuesday's regular council meeting, unless it is called off for weather. Bulletin: The meeting has been rescheduled for 8 p.m. Monday, Jan.27 in Municipal Court. I can make it on foot from my house to Municipal Court in heavy snow. If ice was involved, it would be a different story. The meeting is 8 p.m. in the court, 325 Watchung Ave. One item of interest was added last Monday, that being approval of $!08,000 for one year to David Minchello's law firm. Minchello became the acting corporation counsel after former Corporation Counsel Dan Williamson left in the spring of 2012 to become executive director of the Plainfield Municipal Utilities Authority. The city is supposed to have an in-house counsel, but Minchello's firm will receive a $9,000 per month stipend, which to this writer recalls the old days of having that title on retainer. As long as he is serving the city well, I guess it doesn't matter.

Bloggers who attend Tuesday's meeting will be looking for action on the tax lien penalty resolution that was so roundly denounced by some council members as punitive to seniors and struggling homeowners. As a renter, if I don't pay what I owe each month, I have broken the first rule of landlord-tenant law: You must pay the rent or you will be evicted. I guess some city dwellers are more equal than others, if they feel they can skip paying taxes with impunity.

--Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment