Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Taxes, Public Safety Hot Issues

A City Council meeting that might have been over in half an hour soon became a marathon of special pleas for causes ranging from tax breaks for seniors to the unsettled question of who should lead public safety.

Councilman William Reid stirred the pot first when he questioned what Tax Collector David Marshall presented as a standard set of penalties for tax delinquencies. Reid questioned why the city had to conform; Marshall said 99 percent of municipalities did so. But Reid traced his own home ownership in Plainfield to the days "when the gag was released from us in the sixties" and said taxes had now got out of hand for seniors, "especially citizens that made this city."

"Now you are penalizing people," Reid said.

He said Marshall should come back in February with lower penalty rates.

Councilwoman Rebecca Williams disagreed, saying the penalties were on people who already owed back taxes and those who paid on time "will have to bear the burden of those who are delinquent."

But Councilwoman Tracey Brown said most people who were delinquent didn't want to be, and Councilwomen Gloria Taylor and Vera Greaves joined in expressing sympathy for their plight.

"Seniors should be given a break from this," Greaves said.

"I think we need a balance," Taylor said, advocating a reduction in the penalties.

Marshall explained that investors who purchase tax liens and pay the taxes might be deterred by lower rates. In addition, he has been able to increase the tax collection rate from 93 percent to 96.42 percent and said the penalties are a deterrent to delinquency.

As the council decided not to move the resolution to the Jan. 21 agenda, Marshall, City Administrator Rick Smiley, Mayor Adrian Mapp and Corporation Counsel David Minchello all stressed the importance of passing the resolution.

"This puts us in a situation that we were not prepared for," Minchello said.

Mapp said the resolution was "common and standard practice for very good reasons," and not adopting it was "not in the best interest of the city."

Marshall appeared flabbergasted and said he had just sent out 780 delinquent notices. If people come in to pay, he asked, "What do I do?"

Reid's solution was to take the money and refund it later, if necessary.

Minchello had suggested a recess to discuss the resolution, but Council President Bridget Rivers said the resolution could be brought back as a new item next week.

Once public comment opened, the public safety leadership question emerged. 

During the past administration, the council abolished the title of police chief in favor of "police director" and Martin Hellwig, who was already the director of the Department of Public Affaiars & Safety, assumed the other title as well. When Hellwig went out on final leave at the end of 2013, Police Captain Michael Gilliam was named acting public safety director. On Dec. 16, retired Police Captain Siddeeq El-Amin was among interviewees for cabinet posts but did not emerge as a nominee. On Jan. 1, retired Union County Prosecutor's Office Captain Carl Riley was named acting police director. Mayor Adrian O. Mapp asserted his support for Riley as police director and El-Amin as director of PA&S, but at the Jan. 6 reorganization, the council declined to confirm either.
At left, Siddeeq E-Amin and Faheemah El-Amin. Center, John Metz and Omega Psi Phi members.
On Monday, a row of men wearing purple and gold Omega Psi Phi jackets looked on as fraternity representative John Metz detailed the group's good works in Plainfield, including blood drives, mentoring, Martin Luther King Jr. programs and involvement with the Boys & Girls Club. Members were at the meeting in support of Gilliam, he said, calling him the "apppointed and approved director of Public Safety."

"We ask that you give him your consideration for a permanent appointment," Metz said to the council.

El.-Amin came to the microphone with a prepared statement:
Statement
Members of the City Council, Mayor Mapp, friends and community members. I hadn’t planned on attending this meeting but circumstances have caused me to change my mind.

At your last council reorganization meeting at the high school auditorium, there were many things said about me to you in executive session and in other private meetings, which I was not invited.

At the conclusion of the Reorganization Meeting, councilmembers made comments about my being
nominated for Director of Public Affairs and Safety to effect that you received disparaging information about my character and leadership. And it was stated that these issues needed to be investigated before any action could be taken regarding giving advice and consent to the Mayor’s appointment of me.

Well, I don’t know what this was about but I began making calls to schedule appointments with those councilmember that I did not have an opportunity to meet before that meeting. Let me digress a moment to say that during the Executive Session of the City Council on Dec. 16, no council member ever asked me any questions regarding my character or leadership. Nor were any “issues” raised before I was excused from my “interview.”

Let me take a moment to address a couple of items already stated in the public.

First, it has been said that Siddeeq El-Amin is not connected with the community. My community
involvement is documented.

I serve as a Trustee at my place of worship (Masjidullah Plainfield) which is located in the heart of the Fourth Ward; I serve as Board Chairman for the Neighborhood Health Services Corp. (formerly the Plainfield Health Center) also in the Fourth Ward; my wife and I are the Administrators for the Muslim Community Soup Kitchen in Plainfield (in the Fourth Ward) that serves over 60 free meals every Saturday from 1-2 PM; and my wife and I have a Pre-School Child Care Center in the First Ward that serves 30 3 & 4-year olds since 2010. Before all of this, I served on the Educational Support Team of Dr. Ron Lewis, former schools superintendent in the 1970’s; for two years before I joined Plainfield’s Finest Police Division, I coached the eighth and ninth grade football teams. Some of those players are adults in Plainfield and still refer to me as “Coach.”
Second, it is said about Siddeeq El-Amin that he’s disconnect from the rank and file police officers and has been out of policing for three years. I will address this from two aspects. The first is that since about 1994-5, I have been an Instructor at the Union County Police Academy, known as the John H. Stamler Police Academy. Twice a year I spend two days at the police academy teaching ALL the new recruits, not just those from Plainfield. So from that time on, every Plainfield Police Officer that has attended this academy has had me for an Instructor. Connected.

Now when you reach the level of Lieutenant, Captain and above, yes you do become more distant from the front line officer. That is because now your job responsibilities demand that you deal with more policies, reports, and the supervision of fewer direct reports to you, such as the Sergeants and Lieutenants. But depending on your command assignment, your unit may small enough that you have direct contact with first line officers in your unit.

The second aspect is about being disconnected from policing. Since about 1988, I have been attending law enforcement executive training conferences, initially at my own expense. Further, I have at my own initiative, sought out other advanced training course and workshops to increase my knowledge to enhance my career. I became a national board member to two major law enforcement organizations. Even after my retirement, I continued to attend law enforcement executive training conferences with the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE) and the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) at my own expense. I have continued to stay engaged in the most current issues of law enforcement. What can my detractors say about their careers?

I’ve been told that the Fire Division has an issue with me but in speaking with some of their Union Officers, I was told by them that in a meeting with the Mayor, they told him they would support whoever he picks for Director of Public Affairs & Safety. If that has changed, it has not been brought to my attention to address.

I was successful in meeting with Councilmember Gloria Taylor and I addressed every questions and concern that she raised to, I believe, her satisfaction, clearing up any and all misconceptions she may have had or be told regarding me being the Director of PA&S. I continued and called Councilwoman Tracey Brown on Jan. 10 at 9:48 AM to schedule a meeting and left a voice message on her cell phone. I called again on Jan. 11 at 2:32 and left a message. This, after she said to me on Monday the 6th that “We need to talk.” However, this afternoon Councilwoman Brown called me back and we had the start of a good conversation, but more needs to be covered.

On Jan 10 at 8:13 PM I called Council President Rivers and we schedule a meeting for Saturday afternoon, the next day, for 2:00 PM. She told me that she didn’t have any other plans for Saturday. As background, this was the fourth (4th, after the Reorganization Meeting, ) scheduled meeting we both agreed to have, and President Rivers cancelled each shortly before we were to meet.

Councilmembers, if as you have publicly stated, you are aware of serious issues regarding my appointment that need to be investigated, and I have willingly tried to make myself available to you for a face-to-face interview to give you an opportunity to question me about those “issues,” why then have you not followed through with meeting with me? You have apparently been told certain things, and alluded to them in public as being very serious, yet some of you have taken no initiative to get to the truth.

You, and others, have called my reputation into question; others have made egregious statements, and not given me the opportunity to clear it with you and the public. So now I stand before you this evening and ask you to publicly state the issues you’ve been told about me so that I can clear them up in public, where I have been accused in public.

I am a professional law enforcement executive and as such deserve to be treated in a professional manner.

If leadership qualities are being called into question about me, what does the behavior of some of you
demonstrate? Each of you, with the exception of Councilwoman Taylor, received a letter from me in
November while you were attending the Municipal League of Cities in Atlantic City. I included in the
envelope my professional resume and a two-page listing of professional references of law enforcement executive form across the country. Not one of them has been contacted by any of you.

Yet the citizens of Plainfield are under the impression that you are conducting an investigation of the “issues.”

Someone asked by this question, “Siddeeq, why does the PBA union feel about you the way they do?” I could only answer that you will have to ask them to tell a reason. I continued by saying that if it is just their feelings, then trying to answer the questions would be like trying to grab piece of a cloud. You can see it, and describe it, but when you reach for it and close your hand, there is nothing there. The same goes for fog. Everyone has an interpretation of what a cloud may look like but not one has yet been able to touch it, weigh it, or describe its texture.

So where does that leave us . . . . Leave you? I stand here before you as a physical being, a professional being, not a cloud, not a fog, and not a feeling. I can be examined, weighed, and my texture can be felt. I am asking you to begin your investigation here and now in an open forum, since you have insinuated that there are “major issues to be resolved,” or call for an Executive Session tonight and conduct your interview of me in closed doors. Either way is fine with me. After all, the public too would like answers. 

Thank you.

Siddeeq W. El-Amin - BS, MPA.

The council made no reply and several others spoke before adjournment.

Plaintalker expects to have a commentary on the public safety question later and will also report on several serious issues raised by citizens.

--Bernice

28 comments:

  1. There is a very simple answer to why you have not been appointed Mr. El-Amin - that is Rebecca WIlliams. Your association and support of her has poisoned your chances to be approved by 4, or maybe 5 of the people on the council. It's that simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your answer is correct, how stupid is the council? Personally, I do not believe that Rebecca has anything to do with it.

      This is Mr. El-Amin's reputation at stake. For the council to ignore him, shows their ignorance, lack of understanding what their role is, and plain disregard for the people of Plainfield,

      Delete
    2. "Your association and support of her..." Now what exactly is that supposed to mean? There's more BS going on with this appointment, I can't believe it has much to do with policing or making Plainfield a more peaceful and habitable town. People, stop with the innuendo and beating around the bush, and get to the point, if there is actually a valid point to be made.

      Delete
    3. Wow! Scary comment if true, maybe scarier if not.

      Delete
  2. So what is the problem with El-Amin that dare not speak it's name? Competence as opposed to experience? Age? Muslim leading Christians?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am highly offended at Reid and Greaves and their attitude toward tax collection. In looking at elected officials payment records, they consistently pay late. Their concern for the poor people have nothing to do with it, it is the concern for themselves. They are disgraceful and should resign from the council. They have no idea what they are doing, and are self serving in their votes. They are the shining example of why Plainfield strives for low standards. Disgusting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the sentiment of Brown and Taylor, but they are elected to serve ALL the people.

    Some need help, I agree. However, we also talking about people who are on the dole, and have been for decades. I resent my money going to them. They are looking for an easy hand-out, and see us, those who play by the rules and do the right thing, as suckers.

    As long as we have people on the council who cannot balance these types of difficult decisions - we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its rare that people "on the dole" would owe property taxes unless you count Social security as a dole, in which case you're definitely living in the wrong town and probably the wrong state.
      If someone bought their house in the 70s for maybe 40K they never signed up for property taxes of 6-8-10-12 thousand dollars every single year. How can anyone possibly afford that on maybe $30-40K in social security and a small pension?
      The administration should present a deal where seniors get some kind of relief from or subsidy for the interest payments. You can then aggressively go after the others. There may be casualties but if they can't afford the penalties they certainly can't afford the taxes and will likely be foreclosed sooner or later anyway.

      Delete
    2. Unless you have statistics to back up this kind of argument regarding those "on the dole" I suggest you leave that in your holster. It has no place in this discussion - since property taxes are hard to hide from - and is just an emotional element that doesn't serve a purpose.

      Delete
    3. There are already benefits available for the elderly with limited income with respect to property tax reductions. However, it is common for senior citizens to downsize upon retirement. If they choose to stay in their homes as the costs increase - utilities, maintenance, taxes, then that is their choice.
      A resident who bought their home for $40K many years ago could sell it for many times that and move to a more affordable residence. That is where the city could help - with the promotion of 55+ developments so elderly residence would have an affordable option if they choose to stay in town. With the baby boomers aging they would likely be full for years to come.

      Delete
  5. Mmmmmm....I guess the speeches about supporting the Mayor and "his success is our success" was all a bunch of baloney... I guess the RDO's are only going to be playing nice when they are told to.... and told by whom I wonder ??? Well... I guess it's all a mystery... Keep voting for the Dem's Plainfield... keep supporting Jerry Green and his incompetent clowns New Dem's and you'll keep getting the same B.S.
    And New Dem's.... trust us.. you're the only ones who are surprised. All that hand holding and koumbaya singing got you exactly what you had before ... The short end of the stick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know Mr. El-Amin but he makes a very good case for fair and impartial consideration of his appointment. Mr. Mapp's nominees should be considered, debated in public, as needed, and voted upon. If any one of them does not perform to standards, there is a process for removal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder about the tax question and an convinced that those opposing are more concerned with their late tax payments and are not a good example to follow. What do these people keep getting elect ed. Greaves doesn't have a clue most of the time and Reid is all for himse
    As for Mr. Amin, I think that we don't need someone in his position to be buddies with the union. He seems well qualified and I hope that the City Council President, Reid, Brown, and Rivers stop voting like Sharon was still in office. I know I'll be campaigning to get rid of these losers and get people in who want what's best for Plainfield

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Michael Townley and Bob do agree that Mr. El-Amin should be given consideration and perhaps there should be a public forum for the citizens to attend so we can hear the questions and answers. I've had dealings with the both of them and if I had my choose It would be for El-Amin, he is for the people and he's fair and his credentials are outstanding. Yet I've not heard anything regarding Gilliam except he works with the youth and has a martial arts studio, but with that being said he has a bit of arrogance as well and doesn't always speak politely to folks and at times when you speak to him he doesn't respond. I know, I know he might not have heard me right? I'm just saying this to say we all have our flaws all of us, but lets do what's right for the city and not what the back room closed meeting (I don't mean executive sessions either) tell us to do. Council Members you took an oath with your hand on the bible (a vow, you swore) to protect and do right for us, and you've not done it since, make a change and let it begin today. It's never to late, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe it is because he is Muslim? Could it be that he is not liked because he is not a member of one of the Evangelical churches? His religion does not matter to me, but does it matter to Councilwoman Brown and the rest? I say that because Mr. El-Amin questioned Councilwoman Brown regarding her reservations, and she was not able to speak to them. Maybe it's because of religion. Don't know - just speculating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why would council members reject this year the tax lien rates they voted for last year? Sounds fishy to me! The only difference is the change in the Mayor's office...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for seeing that Dottie. And the lead person for objecting to the new administrations proposals is the same person who in previous years said that although he sometimes disagreed with the previous Mayor, he felt obligated to support her with his vote.

      Cory Storch

      Delete
  11. Wow !! I hope they spend this much time and passion in making Plainfield a safer place to walk around in [no one does it past noon anymore]

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, more of the same! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rob, Grow up with your name calling.If you can do better run for office and stop hiding behind your computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I respect the irony of your comments to me ... anonymous .. keep the faith and keep voting the party line.

      Delete
  14. I here all of this bs but mr mapp is just getting back what he did for eight years obstruct what goes around comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I went to Turkey for three weeks with ten American ministers from around the country to meet with Muslim ministers on a mission to help improve relations between Christians and Muslims. I allow muslim ministers to speak at the church I pastor and to sit in the pulpit.Muslims are my family whom I love dearly.It is ridiculous to suggest that I have anything against muslins, we are all God's children.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Let Carl Riley do both jobs. Why do we need three people to run police and fire. Talk about costs and efficiency.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Councilor Reid did not have a problem with the rate in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013.
    Councilor Greaves did not have a problem with the rate in 2011, 2012, and 2013. These two councilors also think they deserve a raise in salary for the great work that they have done as members of the governing body.

    Councilor Rivers, Councilor Storch, Councilor Brown, and I have voted in favor of the rate every year that we have been in office. When these tax delinquents, many of whom are absentee landlords who thumb their noses at our local government, do not pay their taxes, the community suffers. What happens if we cannot meet our obligations? Who suffers? The answer is, the hard-working people of this community, including the very seniors whom we are purporting to care about. What I am concerned about is the fact that the absentee landlords, the banks that have tax obligations on the properties that they own, the entities who are warehousing homes, and those who just don't feel they want to pay taxes, are being given carte blanche to not pay.

    Many of us have struggled to pay our bills, but we understand our obligation. The large majority of people (including seniors) pay their bills and expect the city to live up to its obligations to them. As Mr. Marshall said, when the notices go out, people pay. That is why he has been able to get our tax rate up. We must collect the taxes that are due. Otherwise, it will be difficult for the city to function effectively.

    Meanwhile, Councilors Reid and Greaves think they deserve a raise. I think that the residents should weigh in on that.

    Rebecca

    *I also posted this comment on Doc's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I believe Reid and Greaves do not pay their property taxes on time. If the records are correct, they both owe. So they actually are giving themselves that raise they want - of course at Taxpayers expense.

      Delete
  18. I must respond to the offensive commentary of 1:57pm toward Councilor Brown. To "speculate"--which really means that you want to insinuate--that my colleague holds religious bias against another faith is beyond insulting. I look forward to a public discussion of the reasons for my colleagues' lack of support for the mayor's Public Safety nominees, but in no way do I think it is due to religious bias. The council is a civil (not a religious) body, and religion should not play a role in the decisions we make on behalf of the residents here--who belong to many (and some to no) religious faiths.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting response to the Muslim comment. While I do not believe Councilor Brown has any religious, I read it that since there was no cogent answer to Mr. El-Amin's question at the meeting, perhaps it was something like the bias stated.

    I just hope that Councilor Brown, if she does have an issue with Mr. El-Amin, states it openly and publicly - in addition to any other councilor that votes no.

    But, I agree, I do not believe that Councilor Brown's refusal to support him is because of religion - that kind of bias just doesn't seem to be in her.

    ReplyDelete