Friday, October 24, 2014

No Paper, No Plastic - Try Furoshiki

I learned a new word today and a new concept (to me) for carrying things - furoshiki.

All you need is a square of fabric to employ this ancient Japanese technique. It takes shape as you tie knots. See here how furoshiki works.

Maybe on a slow shopping day I will try this at Twin City. I try to bring my own bag and have successfully foiled the bag-surrender rule by having a rolled-up Envirosax bag in my pocket. Sometimes if I am not quick enough, the cashier still stows my stuff in plastic bags. With double-bagging, I can end up with four plastic bags for just two items.

I am already regarded as an eccentric old lady over there for using my own bag. How much more could I shock them by whipping out a flat square and knotting it up into a carry-bag? Of course, this would not work if there was a line. I would hear as much grumbling behind me as when another old person opens a change purse and ever so slowly counts out the exact change.

Plastic bags have been banned in Seattle, You must bring your own or purchase a reusable one. I sent Audrey and Peter some Envirosax and also gave Audrey a clever little bag from JetPens.

Living near Park & Seventh, I have spent a lot of time plucking errant plastic bags out of my garden and the shrubbery. They get stuck in trees and the wind makes them do eerie dances down the driveway. I would love to see them banned in New Jersey.

--Bernice

2 comments:

  1. agreed... that and Styrofoam are 2 easily banned items that are environmentally horrible...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! we here in Plainfield new jersey have to deal with city stopped drains and this cause our streets to flood do to the plastic and Styrofoam due to the people that throw their quick meals waste packaging into our streets yes I do agree with rob

    ReplyDelete