Thursday, June 14, 2012

It's Lightning Bug Time

Nothing takes me back to the wonder of childhood like the sight of fireflies rising out of the grass on a summer night.

This week I saw the first ones of 2012 and felt that same sense of delight that I had as a youngster aspiring to be a naturalist. Growing up in East Orange on an urban block, my only "lab" was a nearby vacant lot. I studied the lives of the insects there and in junior science books from the public library.

No matter where I have lived since then, I always have an eye out for what's happening in the bug world. I was equally fond of expanding my vocabulary and the phrase in this Wikipedia entry on fireflies, "conspicuous crepuscular use of bioluminescence," reminds me of how I loved learning the Latin roots of English words.

The American Museum of Natural History has an ongoing exhibit on bioluminescence that sounds fascinating for anyone, old or young, who appreciates and wants to learn more about the mysteries of the natural world. Meanwhile, step outside at twilight and take a look at those lightning bugs!

--Bernice

1 comment:

  1. Bernice,

    Thank you for the pleasant interlude from the unconscionable actions of our City government.

    We citizens are responsible because we cast the votes which place them in office. This happens either by many not voting and others voting the "party line".

    ReplyDelete