Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mayor Seeks PMUA Appointments

Mayor Sharon Robinson-Briggs has proposed appointments to the Plainfield Municipal Utilities Authority that would eliminate one commissioner and remove its current chairman.

Commissioner Carol Brokaw, currently a holdover whose term ended in February, would be replaced by newcomer Darcella Sessomes. Chairman Harold Mitchell, a holdover since February 2011, would receive a two-year alternate's term to February 2014 and would have to relinquish the chair. Brokaw and Mitchell were the dissenting votes in a lucrative settlement with former executives Eric Watson and David Ervin in January.

The mayor also proposed replacing Mitchell with current alternate Cecil Sanders in an unexpired term to February 2016 and renewing Commissioner Alex Toliver's term to 2017. Toliver, Malcolm Dunn and Sanders gave the three votes to approve the settlement in January, with Sanders able to vote in the absence of Commissioner Tracey Brown.

The proposed appointments are noted in correspondence from the mayor for tonight's agenda-fixing session, but there is no resolution prepared for council consideration.

The meeting is 7:30 p.m. in City Hall Library. Meanwhile, the PMUA's June meeting is 6 p.m. at 127 Roosevelt Avenue. Click here to see the PMUA agenda.

--Bernice

6 comments:

  1. Shady Sharonda strikes again. She has no shame and likes to reward her friends with our money. This woman is not only the worst mayor we have ever had, but has truly earned the handle of "Shady". I am so glad that her time in office and in any public job is almost at an end. Thank you Jerry for giving Plainfield the worst mayor in many, many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it would appear the mayor is trying to punish the 2 commissioners who tried to stop the madness going on at the pmua by removing them from the board or to at least diminish their ability to try to do the right thing. she believes she can do whatever she wants to do and seems to have no morals, scruples or ethics from what i can see and doesn't seem to even have the sense to try to hide the nefarious, dirty and underhanded deeds she commits. i recently saw on the news that a town passed a law to fine people for swearing in public, if only plainfield's issues were this minor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three years ago I sent the Mayor a letter with my resume attached volunteering to be a PMUA Commissioner. The letter remained unanswered until I sent a follow up letter and visited her office and left a request for a reply with her secretary.. At a point in time I received a written reply which said that the Mayor had sent my name to the Council and my name would be listed "in the order received". I still do not understand what this meant? The letter did not say that she had placed my name in nomination. I have never heard anything from the Council.Subsequently, I attempted to obtain an interview with the Mayor to discuss a possible nomination. . On visiting the office I was surprised to learn that there were no longer 2 secretaries, rather 3. In the past the City Administrator and Mayor had a secretary each. I learned that in addition to the 2 traditional secretaries the Mayor now had added a "Personal Secretary". It apparently takes an additional person not to respond to letters. The personal secretary advised me that the office would contact me shortly regarding the appointment. I am still waiting. That was about 2 years ago.

    At risk of immodesty I think that my qualifications were suitable and my presence would nave brought some refreshing ideas and enthusiasm to the table. I also offered to serve without compensation or benefits. This in itself may have been what made my nomination objectionable.

    There was another citizen, well educated and with an excellent professional background, who volunteered at that time. She too was placed on the "Pay no mind list". Whether her name was above or below mine remains uncertain.

    When I look at each and every past, and current nomination it is abundantly, and regrettably clear, that no impartial citizen, regardless of qualifications, has been or will be nominated. These positions are treasured as patronage prizes: Tragic but true. Tonight's nominations demonstrate a continuation of this well established tradition..

    Bill Kruse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mitchell and Brokaw are in cahoots with the other commissioners. They voted against the payout strictly for the sake of appearance. They will be rewarded.

    It is a shame the citizens of Plainfield don't exhibit any interest in how their tax dollars are wasted. They prefer to complain amongst each other and hide behind closed doors.
    I too offered to serve on a volunteer basis. No one ever contacted me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernice on another note did the BOE vote Anna Belin-Pyles in as the new superintendent of schools at the meeting last night. I know she had already signed her contract in the chicken and fish frying Campbells also. I was just wondering did they make it official.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's hope the council members have the cohones to turn down these appointments again!

    ReplyDelete