Monday, April 15, 2013

A New Take On Horse and Buggy Days

There may be nothing so nostalgic to Americans as the clip-clop of horses, harking back to the days of the milkman leaving cream-topped bottles on the doorstep.

Entrepreneur Olive Lynch plans to use two Percheron mares and a custom-made wagon that will bring the sound back to city streets, but with a 21st Century mission. In service of her Green Waste Technology venture, the horses and wagon will be used to pick up commercial and household food leftovers. The "buggy" part here is the use of Black Soldier Flies to process the food waste, yielding bio-fuel oil and agricultural protein meal.

Lynch is obtaining approvals from various state, county and city authorities for her business located in a former industrial site on West Front Street and anticipates starting up by June. She expects to grow produce and raise fish as another aspect of her business and believes the horses can also be used for tourism/promotional events in Plainfield.

To learn more, click here.

Lynch is also creating interest in her venture through quarterly e-mail updates. The latest one announces success in getting a certificate of occupancy for the premises at 1355 West Front St., Building 8; progress in getting a recycling license; building out the plant with structures and equipment for the operations; and meeting with the Plainfield Municipal Utilities Authority regarding a "strategic alliance."

Expect to hear more about this plan for novel re-use of a site in the city's long-fallow West End industrial corridor.

--Bernice

3 comments:

  1. Olive has made many great plans over the years, achieved some success, and then abandoned her projects for some other venture. It will be interesting to see if she actually follows through on this enterprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @12:40

    My lack of "follow through" on my projects was due to financial issues. In 2008 I lost my job. Like many people, I was out of work for over a year.

    I had to make some heart-rending decisions. I sold most of my possessions, declared bankruptcy, and my "other venture" was survival until I could find employment.

    I thank God that when the worse of the crash was over I was able to find employment, rebuild my life.

    Starting a business/projects real money and effort is on the line. There are no guarantees of success (and I didn't get a bailout). I took the risk, I accept the loss.

    I'm grateful I've been able to rebuild and in a position to launch a business with such potential.

    Olive

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applaud Olive's entrepreneurial spirit. Businesses do fail even in the best economic times, and our economy is dependent on people being willing to accept those sorts of risks. Plainfield needs more people who are willing to invest the time and resources that are required to start up businesses, not people who sit on the sidelines making snarky comments. We have plenty of the latter.

    ReplyDelete