Thursday, October 3, 2013

Farewell to Rev. Carolyn Eklund



Rev. Carolyn Eklund with butterfly kite, 2009

My favorite cleric is leaving Plainfield.

I don't know all, or even many, of the city's hundreds of spiritual leaders. Proximity to Grace Church has made me aware of Carolyn Eklund and I sincerely hope her fellow clergy are as cheerful and dedicated to the community as she has been over her tenure. It is a joy to be around her and a sobersides such as myself can't help but get a lift from her, even though I do not share her faith.

She has continued to give her all for her congregation and the population at large even while grieving the untimely loss of her husband, John. Those of us who have read her thoughts on grief can only take a lesson to remember when loss comes our way, as it will at some time in our lives.

When dear ones leave, I like to know more about where they will be living. I learned that Carolyn will be trading our local waterway, the Green Brook, for the mighty Androscoggin River. She will still be ministering in a church that is on the National Register of Historic Places, although St. Paul's is "New England plain" and Grace Church is richly ornate. She will be leaving an urban center for a town with less than half its population.

St. Paul's anticipates her first sermon on Oct. 27. Meanwhile, Grace will hold a farewell tribute and luncheon in her honor this Sunday at noon. Attendees are asked to bring some food to share and may also contribute to a gift for her. Click here to read more, including her resignation letter.

In my early days as a reporter, I worked a Tuesday through Sunday shift and got to visit many Plainfield churches. Over the years, I came to know many of the city's spiritual leaders and it was always sad to have one leave the community, whether through a denominational mandate or other reason. Carolyn's legacy includes her efforts to save Muhlenberg, her broadening of Grace to new, diverse congregants and just her warmth that is so touching. When a new minister came to the nearby First Unitarian Society of Plainfield, I suggested Carolyn as a role model for getting to know Plainfield and its people. I will miss her.

--Bernice

4 comments:

  1. Her leaving is a big loss for Plainfield and our community. Rev. Carolyn Eklund, in my dealings with her, has always been wonderful and a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rabba Moshe Samber is near Silver Springs
    Wash DC When Muhlenberg closed - Plfd left us for walking ability to Garwood Shop-Rite -5 years ago
    Thanx Bernice for your warmth and knowledge! Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn has been a joy and a blessing to all of us in Plainfield. I will miss her more than words can say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We first came to Grace ten years ago on the recommendation of a neighbor. We stayed because of Carolyn and are blessed that she baptized our daughter. We miss her already and look forward to visiting her in Maine!

    ReplyDelete